RuneScape 38 (circa 2001)

DirtPiper

Jan 17, 2023
A few days ago I discovered the protoweb project, which seeks to recreate the internet circa 1996-2003 or so. There are a fair number of sites recreated, including RuneScape.com complete with the original in-browser applet. Unfortunately, the applet does not play nicely with the version of Mozilla available in Irix 6.5.30, nor with Netscape. With some kludging, however, I've managed to get it playable as a standard Java application.

1695261931117.png

After a few seconds of astonishment over how easy this was to get working, I promptly walked over to a farm and started brutally murdering some chickens. It works, it's playable, and it's enjoyable above that, despite the fairly middling FPS on my ESI+T graphics. The only requirement was Java 1.4.1, which is available on the 6.5.30 apps CD.

I've put together the needed files plus a shell script to launch the game. It should all work if you place it directly under `~`, and the shell script can be plonked into your Icon Catalog for easy access. Have fun!

Next up, figuring out why macromedia flash crashes whenever sound plays so I can watch homestarrunner...

Attachments

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu