Is there a graphical "hello world" for C++ on IRIX?

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Hi All,

My O2 Irix 6.5.30 install has MipsPro 7.2.1. I am transitioning from Arduino graphics to messing with graphics in C++ on IRIX. I want to use standard libraries to write simple graphics demos to start with. Executing opens a window, draws 2d lines, clears window, draws new 2d lines in window, rinse, repeat.

I would appreciate if you folks could point me to an example.

Thank you.

KB

Northsky

Reindeer Whisperer
Feb 8, 2019
Running 'infosearch' command on the xterminal brings up a vast library of manuals. I have been reading those when adventuring out to the world of OpenGL / C++ on IRIX.

hammy

Jun 1, 2019
UK
My O2 Irix 6.5.30 install has MipsPro 7.2.1. I am transitioning from Arduino graphics to messing with graphics in C++ on IRIX. I want to use standard libraries to write simple graphics demos to start with. Executing opens a window, draws 2d lines, clears window, draws new 2d lines in window, rinse, repeat.
Hey KayBee,

Basically Irix has maybe three levels of "do graphics the IRIX way"

1. Regular windowed applications with buttons, menus, lists etc - if you are using C++ the classic IRIX library for that would be ViewKit (`man ViewKit` - and check the documentation out with `infosearch` as Northsky mentions)
  2. OpenGL for accelerated 2D and 3D graphics - these can be added to ViewKit programs as widgets too, it doesn't have to be a standalone GL only style thing.
  3. A higher level graphics library like OpenInventor and Performer. These hide some of the complexity of dealing with GL to give you things like a scene graph where you add a sphere node, then add a translation node as a parent etc.
Of course IRIX has a full X11 implementation too, so like Onre mentions you can code against X11 too.

That's quite a few options - sorry there's no obvious "always use this toolkit". If you're only wanting to do full window demos and buttons/menus etc aren't your thing, then perhaps GL or X11 might get you up and running the quickest.

Be aware that the GL implementation is 1.2 or 1.3 ish (sorry don't remember exactly) - so a lot of tutorials you'll find online won't be compatible with this older version.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu