INDY SCSI CDROM drive error

bitpak

Dec 13, 2022
archive.org
I'm trying to install IRIX 5.2 from the original CD on my Indy and I get this error every time.

IMG_2406.jpg

The SCSI CD-ROM is actually a Pioneer DVD-ROM drive with a SCSI interface. But at least it's working OK with my Octane.

The Indy detects it without problems. I tried it in different combinations with and without an active terminator.
Also tried to install the system on a BlueSCSI SD card and on a real 4Gb SCSI disk. No difference. Gives the same error every time.
I tried different RAM modules. Tried different CDs. Even tried to start installation without a CD in the drive. Same thing.

Maybe there's some documentation on this specific error that might help? Or should I just look for another CD-ROM drive?

Also, is there any other way to install a system on an Indy without an external CD-ROM drive?

Last edited:

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
I don't have a definitive answer for this but there were two things that I would try that you didn't mention. Number one is SGI machines of this vintage should have Bus parity enabled on all SCSI devices including the optical drive. I know for a fact indigo2 is supposed to be run that way, I assume Indy should be as well.

Secondly, an info phase error might be related to the location length of data, according to the SCSI command manual. Did you set the 512 byte block jumper correctly on this optical drive? I'm assuming you're well aware that you need to be in 512 byte block mode to properly read and boot off an Irix installation Disc. Pioneer SCSI optical drives should have that jumper. Later SGI prom revisions are supposed to use a software command to artificially attempt to set the drive in the appropriate mode without needed to use the jumper. But this drive may or may not be responding to it and therefore may not be in the correct block mode.

I would recommend that you set the 512 Byte Block jumper on the drive and make sure all your SCSI stuff has parity enabled and then try this again. I have no other suggestions other than that.

Reactions: bitpak

bitpak

Dec 13, 2022
archive.org
Thanks @weblacky you might be right.

Looks like I have to find another optical drive since this one doesn't have the jumpers for block size and parity selection. It only has a master/slave/cable select jumper. And the SCSI box it came in also doesn't have any of the mentioned jumpers.

bitpak

Dec 13, 2022
archive.org
Anyone tried using regular SCSI CD-ROM (not external one) with Indy? Will it work if I'll connect it next to the HDD on the same cable? Of course I'll have to take the top cover off, but still

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
That ought to work, although the same requirements Weblacky mentioned still apply. And you'll need a proper cable and molex for it.

Reactions: bitpak

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu