Anyone know how to get an irix nfs share on macOS or Linux

siliboi

Jan 4, 2021
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
Been playin with this and I’m more curious than ever. Got it working with some help on discord in windows but MacOS so far has been a tough nut to crack. Irix box would be the server or the share and macOS would be the client.

I know it can work in Linux as well as stormy had a post in a thread about some irix shares. Whenever I try to connect I get : permission denied 🙅‍♂️ I’ve been playing with fstab and exports for a while but no luck yet. I wonder if there’s a way to see all the info the mac sends irix to initiate like a trace or something . Irix is set up to allow : everyone and since in windows it wanted uid:0 and gid:eek: I used sudo on the mac but nfs will squash all root nfs so I tried no_squash but macOS didn’t recognize that. It should default to -2 and irix should accept that tho according to the manual lol and so should Linux but alas 😵. 😩.
Anyway if anyone’s done this on macOS Mojave and up let me know or any linux.

siliboi

Jan 4, 2021
Neat neat however I am uninterested in this anyone can ftp I’m interested in figuring out what’s up. Something about root Id squashing maybe that’s my working theory. When sudod the ids are the same 0,0 but the mac squashes it so I have to find away around as I think current max doesn’t allow no squash as the nfs command says it doesn’t understand.

jkdsteve

Sep 21, 2021
California, USA
I’m fairly sure I had it working with user exports from IRIX 6.5 to OSX, I will check on my systems later tonight and respond tomorrow.

[UPDATE]

Well, I checked the contents of my /etc/exports file (Monterey 12.6.3) and it simply this:

/Users -network 10.0.0.0 -mask 255.255.0.0

Of course this gives Everyone access to /Users. I've never tried anything else.

I am wondering if I had to force NFS to one minimum/max version or another but that may have been just for my Amigas.

Last edited:

siliboi

Jan 4, 2021
I’m fairly sure I had it working with user exports from IRIX 6.5 to OSX, I will check on my systems later tonight and respond tomorrow.

[UPDATE]

Well, I checked the contents of my /etc/exports file (Monterey 12.6.3) and it simply this:

/Users -network 10.0.0.0 -mask 255.255.0.0

Of course this gives Everyone access to /Users. I've never tried anything else.

I am wondering if I had to force NFS to one minimum/max version or another but that may have been just for my Amigas.
Interesting so that was in your irix box export file?

jkdsteve

Sep 21, 2021
California, USA
Interesting so that was in your irix box export file?
I went back and checked my Octane, it has exports like:

/usr/people/<folder>

I can mount them on the Mac like standard NFS:

sudo mount -t nfs IPADDR:/usr/people/<folder> /<Mac Mountpoint>

I can also see what's shared on the Octane from the Mac:

show mount -e IPADDR

Where IPADDR=IP address of my Octane, of course you have the option to use HOSTNAME if you run local DNS or edit etc/hosts on the Mac

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
The problem is that new versions of NFS support only version 4 of the protocol by default. You need to force the NFS client to connect over version 3, or possibly even version 2 NFS.

Look here for example command lines to connect on the command line. But instead of
Code:
-o vers=4
try setting
Code:
-o vers=3

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu