WTB: o2, Octane, maybe Indigo2 [UK]

msrh9

Sep 1, 2021
I've been looking for a system for a while now, but eBay prices are insane and I haven't had much luck finding a UK seller.
I'm looking for an Octane with SSI/better gfx or an r10k o2/Indigo2 (Extreme/Impact gfx).
I'll be using the system for moderate video and 3D work, probably with texturing.
If you have a suitable system, please let me know :)

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
I'd suggest an Octane with a V6 or SE/SSE gfx card if you want to do some video and 3D work. While the O2 is probably a bit easier for SD video, the Octane is so much faster than an O2 on a like for like basis. Even a R10k 250mhz Octane with SE/SSE will be leaps and bounds faster than a smiliar spec O2. Indigo2 is nice as well but they frequently develop PSU issues very quickly.

I have a 250Mhz O2 and it's much slower than my Octane I sold, especially when it come to gfx and texturing handling.

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Hi! Primarily because it was sitting in a storage room not being used, and somebody else is now getting some active use out of it. If I did use it it was for very short periods due to the electricity consumption, heat and also partly noise. I just cannot stand scsi drives anymore. My O2 is slow but it is frugal and quiet.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu