WTB: Crimson AB1 Adapter

CB_HK

Jun 13, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I'm trying to track down an extremely hard-to-find adapter that allows the Extreme board set from an Indigo2 to be installed in the Crimson, creating a Crimson Extreme. If anyone happens to have this board (it's a GIO connector to Elan-style connector) and is willing to send it on to a good home, please let me know! Happy to pay a good price for it.

Thanks!

AstridRedfern

Sep 20, 2022
I might have found one for sale, though I'm not sure, and the website doesn't list the price - you have to use a form to request a quote.

Anyway, at

http://www.bbsolutions.com/sgi/crimson.html (sorry, there's no https version.)

we find:

013-0675-001PCA SET GU1 RU1.1 VB2 MG1 AB1

So far, the "AB1" is the only thing that matches. But let's now look at an old post from comp.sys.sgi.hardware:

Gary Stratton
Oct 7, 1994, 12:41:17 AM

* Crimson systems (configured in deskside chassis) can be configured with an Extreme graphics subsystem, which is the same Extreme used in Indigo2 (desktop chassis) systems.

* Extreme graphics consist of boards: GU1, RU1, VB2.

* To adapt the above boards for a Crimson, one needs an MG1 adapter and an AB1 adapter. Some how the Extreme boards plug into the AB1 adapter and the AB1 adapter plugs into the MG1 adapter, which plugs into the Crimson chassis.
So it LOOKS like they're offering a set of Extreme boards for sale, bundled with the AB1 adapter you were looking for and a second adapter (MG1) you might need.

Sounds like it's worth contacting B&B Solutions. Let me know if it's what you were looking for, if the price is reasonable - and if not, whether you think you can get them to sell the adapters separately at a lower price.

Now, I notice you've posted the WTB on Irixnet too, so I'd better nip over to there and cross-post this!

CB_HK

Jun 13, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
Cross-posted reply:

Thanks for the pointer, AstridRedfern, I appreciate it! I shot them an email to see if they get back to me. We'll see if I get lucky on this one.

As for Gary's old Usenet post, I will be more than happy to photograph and share whatever I find if I manage to get one. Even though I doubt Gary will ever see it. Just makes me slightly happy to think that a thread from almost 30 years ago could still be answered, in a manner of speaking.

Thanks for reaching out on both forums. I'll be more than happy to share what I find!

Reactions: AstridRedfern

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu