What do you folks do for backing up your dev work...and drive cloning.

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Hi Again,

I have the SGI networked and have a folder mounted to my Mac (Thanks Irinikus!) and currently I periodically drop my source there and then my Mac is backed up to both time machine and the cloud. What do you guys do?

Secondly, along the same lines, one of the great things (though slow) about the SCSI2SD on the O2 is I just clone the SD card when I hit a milestone. What to do on the Octane where I have a SCSI hard drive. If the drive failed I would not want to be out of order for a week while I wait for spare time to re-install IRIX, etc etc.

Ideally I'd like to hear about your actual workflows.

Thanks, I appreciate your experience.

KB

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
For me, anything important goes on an NFS mount to a FreeBSD machine. From there the backup options are a lot more open :)

Unxmaal

Administrator
Feb 8, 2019
I try to avoid keeping anything important on the SGI. I habitually run "git status", then git add, commit and push to an external repo.

HAL

Administrator
Oct 22, 2019
Well,
we have a Bacula client for Irix which needs a re-work. It does not start the fd-service because a certain folder is not created during installation.
It started properly after I created the missing folder and I managed to import the O350 on my Bacula-server which runs on a Linux machine.

foetz

Feb 19, 2019
i had an sgi as my local server so all system backups were done there via networker and tape. only the system stuff though and important things. the rest i added to my general, offline backups, which are not restricted to a specific os or hardware.
for disk cloning i use xfsdump and dhvtool.

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu