What are some good silent fans for the o2 especially the psu?

siliboi

Jan 4, 2021
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
I found a vendor who was using noctuas in a r10k and a arctic f8 in r5000 why different fans? should I be worried about cfm? basically im swapping out a fan as the psu is quite rusty on its case but it works just fine and the tabs will most likely break in the process

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Yes, though it’s more about static pressure in an O2. The F8 is fine for low spec R5K machines as the processor doesn’t really get that hot. The IC under the CPU does run hot though, and if you have double sided RAM in all slots these will generate a lot of heat as well.

The Noctua, from recollection has 2x the mmH2O static pressure rating of the Arctic F8. I’d use this as the minimum.

For R10k and above, I’d run the Ebm Papst. These cpus spit out loads of heat for such a small enclosure.

Reactions: Elf

siliboi

Jan 4, 2021
Halifax Nova Scotia Canada
And you don’t need to drill anything in the Sony PSU for the fan, one screw and a push pin plastic retainer is all that holds the fan in. Pull out the cable and done.
Thanks so much I also found a cooler master which can push 4.23 mmh2o!
It’s a 4 pin but I hear if you connect ground and red to yellow it should run as yellow is 12 volt.

I couldn’t find a Pabst but all my ram slots are full so I’m thinking I may go with noc or the coolermaster

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Thanks so much I also found a cooler master which can push 4.23 mmh2o!
It’s a 4 pin but I hear if you connect ground and red to yellow it should run as yellow is 12 volt.

I couldn’t find a Pabst but all my ram slots are full so I’m thinking I may go with noc or the coolermaster
If it’s the black coolermaster with a hologram type sticker then avoid it, I have one as well. I bought it on the claims of the high static pressure but it really doesn’t work well. I’d say it does no better than 2-3 on the static pressure scale. It certainly doesn’t pull much air through the system.

Edit - I have the blade master 80

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu