Troubleshooting advice - Indigo R3k - no chime

kaoshonen

Dec 17, 2023
Kansas, USA
Hello folks,

I recently picked up this Indigo with R3000 CPU. When I flip the power switch, the machine does not appear to start up. The PSU fan blowers, and green LED on the CPU card Illuminates, but that's it - no chime, or hard drive activity. Do you have any recommendations on where to start troubleshooting? Any best practices when handling this machine?

So far I have removed the HDDs, and tried to start with combination of just CPU card, and just GPU card, but the machine acts the same. I also reseated the 4 8MB memory sticks, but that didn't make any difference.

I have not totally disassembled the machine yet, but I did notice some signs of surface corrosion around the ports on the backside.

Thanks in advance!

Here are a few images:

Last edited:

kaoshonen

Dec 17, 2023
Kansas, USA
Hello @flexion,

Thanks for the advice. I noticed that when I hit the reset button, it had no effect. Can you briefly describe how to check the switch? I assume the PSU needs to be removed, and opened up?

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
Thanks for the advice. I noticed that when I hit the reset button, it had no effect. Can you briefly describe how to check the switch? I assume the PSU needs to be removed, and opened up?
Just remove the wire from the reset button for another test.
I found out my reset button was constantly pressed when I measured the wires of the button with a multi-meter.

kaoshonen

Dec 17, 2023
Kansas, USA
Thanks @flexion I'll give that a try!

Is there a trick to removing the PSU? I found one Philips head screw on the back, near the fan. I must be missing another screw or bolt, cause I can't seem to get it to slide out. Am I missing a step?

*** update ***

Got the PSU out, had to really push and pull to get that thing out. Next I'll try to crack it open.

Last edited:
Reactions: flexion

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu