The SGUG RPM Software Environment

hammy

Jun 1, 2019
UK
Release 0.0.3 alpha of the sgug-rse project on github is now out - and should (modulo bugs) be feature equivalent with the packages and features previously provided by didbs.

sgug-rse is interesting - in that this opens up a common repository and submission place for extra packages and ports - from you!

Pull requests and new ports are most definitely welcomed and encouraged.

It's currently for developers/early adopters - with focus and usage we can discover the sharp corners and get things a little smoother.

I recommend a "fresh" install (remove previous sgug-rse) for sanity.

There is an obvious known issue - if you're having issues with `sort` or other tools, `LC_ALL=C` is a work around. Please do file any bugs you see and we'll try and get this stable enough for everyone.

Get it here!

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Hi Hammy, I'm new to porting and with the help of Jupo only just got didbs installed and working. Would you suggest I stick playing around and learning with the didbs environment for now and waiting until sgug becomes more mature?

hammy

Jun 1, 2019
UK
Hey Stormy,

For the moment the rpm bits are alpha and are probably only of interest to early adopters / people who don't mind stuff being a bit broken.

I'm working my towards 0.0.4beta - which should be in a much better place with various improvements under the hood to make life nicer.

Stick with didbs for now, get your feet wet using those tools and we see when 0.0.4 arrives.

hammy

Jun 1, 2019
UK
On the road to 0.0.4beta, some stats for funsies from the "rebuild the world #1":

• 128 packages now in the "working set" of sgug
  • 691M of SRPMs generated
  • 506M of RPMs generated (115 NOARCH .rpms, 348 MIPS .rpms)
  • Full rebuild on dual 600 octane2 -> ~26 hours
  • Slowest to build -> boost C++ library at a whopping 4.X hours
Some more tweaks to fix a couple of outstanding issues and another full rebuild and we're on track for 0.0.4beta in a week or so.

Reactions: Elf

hammy

Jun 1, 2019
UK
Is there a nice script to build the world of RPMs? So we can have MIPS4?

-andy
Kinda .-)

Since the packages are in flux, any script is out of date as soon as a new package is added or something gets renamed. Plus there's an ongoing bug where rpm requires libdicl 0.1.16 during build - while other packages like libtasn1 and p11kit require version 0.1.17 during build. All will _run_ against 0.1.17, these are just build-time hard needs.

But to the chase - I've built a tool that can spit out the list of which .spec files correspond to the rpms you have installed - which can then be massaged into a build script - but it's still raw, and needs tweaking for the above.

I did it like this so that I could sanity check I'm rebuilding everything that's installed (and not just missing something).

Once that tool gets a little more mature I'll stick it (and it's sister tool - "compute minimal packages") in a "sgug-rse-tools" repository.

I've not looked into what it would take to compile everything mips4 until now - so no idea if that would easily work.

hammy

Jun 1, 2019
UK
sgug-rse 0.0.4beta here with some notes: https://github.com/sgidevnet/sgug-rse/releases/tag/v0.0.4beta

If you want to install all the RPMs there - launch the sgugshell and extract the "RPMs" tarball in the right place then:

Code:
cd ~/rpmbuild/RPMS
sudo rpm --reinstall -ivh noarch/*.rpm mips/*.rpm
@stormy @praetor - This should be in a good enough state that most sharp corners have been taken off it if you want to dive into RPMs on IRIX!

Known Issues:

@jupo found one out the gate - the default editor for visudo is missing (since the package isn't installed yet). Set $EDITOR to something sensible before launching it.

@massiverobot - the world rebuilder script I used for this is here: https://gist.github.com/danielhams/ccf20403842a7e3a8e0b751a4254eddd

It still needs a manual dance to build libdicl-0.16, downgrade to that, rebuild rpm, build libdicl-0.1.17, upgrade to that, upgrade rpm. That isn't automated for the moment.

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu