The Battle of the Trashcan Mac Pro's

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I've started this thread as I'm going to be releasing a series of videos showing the various differences in performance between the Entry and Max Spec versions of the Mac Pro 6.1, as I now have very nice examples of both of these machines.

This is my first video showing the Multi Core CPU performance difference between these two machines:

Last edited:
Every now and then I find myself wanting one of these ... But then I'm reminded of the various GPU options and how the top-spec is probably less desirable due to heat problems ... then the horror stories of getting one produced *after* the GPU recall (or one which was recalled) Then ... after all that, because I'd be running Linux, there is no support for the second GPU, which means I'd be wasting a lot of power constantly. So, overall, I keep convincing myself it's too much trouble and/or risk.

At this time I'm unfortunately not able to compare the GPU compute performance between the two Trashcans's, as firstly Blender 4.2 won't install on Mac OS Catalina, although I was able to get Blender 4.0.2 to install it requires Mac Os 12.3 in order to enable GPU rendering in the Cycles Render Engine!!!

I was however able to run Cycles with CPU rendering in Blender 4.0.2 and got the following result:

PMZ7elP.jpg

The D300's on the Entry Level machine are significantly faster!

I did compare the Heaven Benchmark performance between the two machines and got the following results:

WtvTzmO.jpg

BlGHEgX.jpg

According to this result, the D700's aren't significantly more powerful than the D300's, they just have 3 times the video RAM!
However, it would have been interesting to see if the difference is the same when it comes to GPU Compute with both D700's enabled?

Bvu52Yl.jpg

Reactions: doc
I have a solution to get Monterey running on the 12 Core machine! I’ll install Monterey onto one of these and select it as the startup disk when I want to run Monterey!
fvqIAHr.jpg

The 4TB OWC SSD’s absolutely staying in the machine, as it’s an extremely rare item and thus more valuable than the machine itself!

Reactions: doc

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu