Solid VGA cables

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
So, I have an O2 that I run via VGA to a F181 SGI monitor. Overall, that monitor has a solid picture and no issues run off of its DVI port. The O2, however, has some obvious ghosting even on still images. That is, there’s a reddish “shadow” to fonts and the edges of windows. I’m inclined to blame my VGA cable, maybe it’s just not good enough for 1280x1024. Anyone familiar with a quality regular VGA cable for these guys?

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
I have a 2m triple shielded 30AWG VGA cable + ferrite cores I picked up from our old server room, works very well - no ghosting or bleeding. No name on it though unfortunately....is about twice as thick and stiff as the cheap ones you get with a bought display. Vention do a similar cable in various lengths.

If this doesn't help then it may be something to do with the monitor's VGA input shielding? Can you try something else at the same resolution on the monitor?

Reactions: jenna64bit

fraserN64

Aug 20, 2019
sites.google.com
Cable build quality is definitely a factor, but I'd focus on the ferrite cores, they really help on S-Video cables with ghosting and bleeding type issues.
Build quality, would be a bigger factor in long term durability or if you move the cable around a lot like a mouse or keyboard cable, but if the wires work and aren't broken you may not notice a difference upgrading (assuming no ferrite core on new cable).
Also ferrite cores are generally $1.00 - $3.00 vs $20+ for better quality cable. Even buying a new inexpensive VGA cable with ferrite cores would probably help.

Reactions: jenna64bit

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
My current cable has the requisite single core on either end. Should I try aftermarket ferrite snaps?

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Hmm darn, might have to blame the machine’s age then and see about refurbishing the board.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu