Shipping a Tezro. Suggestions on box & packing to use?

7spirals

Sep 7, 2022
I have a few large items to sell but one thing holding me back is fear of damage and my lack of knowledge about how to box & ship this delicate stuff. Do you guys that do this all the time just keep huge boxes around? Do you build bigger boxes from smaller ones? Do you order custom boxes? What about making padding for the inside? Is there some option on a smaller scale for foam-in-place? Any tips on creating foam-in-place support for heavy items?

I'll post the specs on my Tezro once I'm confident I can ship it without breaking it. Otherwise, I might just try to sell it locally (Denver area).

TIA for any suggestions.

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
Most of the time it's the skins that instantly break. Now a lot of shippers are going to be really harsh on your shipment (Drop the frame right on the cart which will bend the bottom of the system upward) so there's two different ways to go. One is to remove all the skins from it and packed them incredibly well and ship them as separate packages. That way the weight of the system being bounced doesn't crush the plastic faces, which happens very frequently. You'll also want to remove the Tezro's front LCD as it will not survive shipping this way.

Once you're down to bare metal that has a problem where you be exposing both the open sides, so you may or may not want to attempt to do that unless you have plywood or something to act as both sides of the system when you pack it.

Most of the time you want to use expanding packaging. Now this stuff is expensive. And there is a home version of it so you don't need a machine for that basically is a capsule you break inside a bag and then quickly pack everything away and it expands inside the bag in less than 60 seconds. They make the bags pretty big you can also buy multiple bags. They are a little tough to get. I use the smallest bag and then double them up for power supply shipments. The product is: https://www.sealedair.com/products/protective-packaging/instapak-quick

You can get some of it on Amazon but again it's pricey. But if you're selling a system for a couple thousand dollars just pass the expense onto the buyer. You'll need to buy a few extra bags to practice with. This stuff sets incredibly fast. I cannot overstate the fact that you will not be able to work with it after 45 seconds.

Either way this is the current way that a lot of the irregularly sized SGI's are shipped. If you have one of the square or pizza box style ones people just bubble wrap those to hell and back in a huge double wall box. The Tezro is sort of in a class on its own. Personally I would say unless the person is paying you a great deal of money to try this I would not ship a Tero. Everything I've got has always been local. And if somebody wants it, give them a good enough deal for them to drive down, or higher a courier. If you're getting three fingers plus on this deal then go ahead and use expanding foam and get a professional double walled moving box.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu