SGI Tezro Papst fan replacement and upgrade (quieter, cooler)

doc

Jun 23, 2022
My project in which I added additional fans to 4x800 MHz SGI Tezro and replaced the original ones (made by Papst in Germany) with Noctuas and Scythes generated some interested.

I installed the largest fans that could fit into each position. Overall, the machine runs quieter and 5-12 degree celsius cooler. Sometimes the results are even better, but situation-dependent.

Here is the list of all fans:

1. [Added] 1x 14cm fan on the front metal mesh, to take air in and push it towards the rear of the case

2. [Replaced] 2x 8cm fans on the black plastic wall which push air towards the rear of the case

3. [Added] 2x 6cm fans on the bottom of black plastic wall which push air towards the rear-bottom of the case, through the graphics card

4. [Added] 1x 14cm fan on top of the graphics card. It takes air out of the graphics card and pushes it into the rear/center of the case. It also blows air onto the PCI cards.

5. [Prepared] Power for 2 more fans on the rear-outside of case, on the metal mesh to the right of PCI cards, but did not install fans in the end as they did not seem needed.

6. [Added] 6x 6cm fans in a 3x2 configuration on the front metal mesh, in front of the CPUs. SGI themselves shipped fans in this place, but only on 1GHz configurations.

7. [Replaced] 1x 8cm fan for hard disks

8. [Replaced] 3x 8cm fans at the rear of the case

9. [Replaced] 1x fan in the PSU

Notes related to the setup:

1. Fans are completely separate from Tezro's native fan solution.

2. They are powered from a Molex connector and a separate fan controller card from NZXT, with 6 or 8 separate fan controls. I made it so that clusters of fans are controlled as a single unit (e.g. all 6 CPU fans are on 1 fan control).

3. The fan controller card installs in the PCI slot (but doesn't connect to the mainboard) and offers a connector on the back for an external controller screen. Connecting the external controller screen is optional -- if not present, the fans just run at max speed which is OK.

4. The controller screen is excellent for e.g. turning off all fans and then powering them on one by one (with varying percentage) to understand how much each group of fans contributes to the total noise level.

5. All fans are Noctuas, except two which are Scythes. I used Scythe for the HD fan and PSU fan because they were not the quietest, but were the strongest still-quiet fans I was able to find.

6. The CPU fans which consist of 3x2 array had to be installed one by one. If already mounted in a 1x2 configuration before putting into the case, there was not enough space (and I didn't want to remove the CPU package)

7. On all fans I installed the protective grills, so that existing cables (or additional cables from the fans themselves) would not get caught by the blades.

8. Because the fans are completely separate (built-in fans are not connected), at Tezro startup there are 3 beeps and L1 display shows a fan controller warning.

9. Sometimes, again because of the original fans disconnected, on the front-left of the SGI cube logo an orange warning light turns on. It is possible to turn this light off via software (I forgot the command, though).

10. Finally, I noticed that Tezro's subtle air intakes (found on the sides and bottom of front cover) are not enough for all the air that's needed. That's why I removed the plastic decoration inside the case, so that if I need more air I just open the main door, and there's plenty of room for air to get in.

I will update this thread as I remember additional info or exact models. Pictures are included.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
The deal breaker is having to remove the fancy front panel in order to keep it cool.

doc

Jun 23, 2022
Well it's not necessary, just better.
One other approach I was thinking about was to build spacers that would install in the same place where the front panel screws into the case.
They would space the front panel say, 1cm away, and then there would be this additional 1cm of space all around the panel.
The visual impact of this would be minimal.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu