SGI Magazine Ads

Elf

Storybook
Feb 4, 2019
Western United States
Nice advertisement; I was about to say that I wish there were interesting computer ads like this now, but I realized that even the magazines that host these full page ads went out of style over a decade or two ago 😅

Jade Nekotenshi

Jun 3, 2021
The ads are still around, but everyone's selling the same thing and competing on cost, or maybe in some cases on gold-platedness - it's not left a lot of room to be awesome, alas.

Wish I still had some of the old ads like this around! Heck, even some of the DEC or Sun ones - those were never as dead-smexy as SGI's ads, but they were still a whole lot more interesting than "I can build you a generic Xeon-and-Quadro box with Windows 11 for $125 less than Dell can"...

Reactions: Elf

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
Very cool, especially the TDI Explore ads! While not strictly an ad, I would like to present this cover of the Yugoslav (!) computer magazine "personalni računari " illustrating the typical SGI system administrator of 1992.

(more here https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_sexy_ladies_of_yugoslavian_computer_magazines)

View attachment 1893
it’s hard to believe anybody could afford one then in the 90s! Perhaps this was more of a hobby mag and not a paid SGI placement? I’d be shocked if SGI invested in the country then… then again they did like to spend! LOL

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu