SGI Magazine Ads

GameBreaker64

Jul 17, 2019
I think we can all agree that SGI's magazine advertisements were just as cool as the machines themselves. If you have any magazines with SGI ads in your personal collection or just found one on the internet, feel free to post them here!

I'll start with this Indigo2 IMPACT 1000 ad, probably from 1996.
1655833724917.png

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Nice advertisement; I was about to say that I wish there were interesting computer ads like this now, but I realized that even the magazines that host these full page ads went out of style over a decade or two ago 😅

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Oh gosh they have, haven't they. I mean, I still get Wired but the ads aren't this cool.

Reactions: Elf

Jade Nekotenshi

Jun 3, 2021
The ads are still around, but everyone's selling the same thing and competing on cost, or maybe in some cases on gold-platedness - it's not left a lot of room to be awesome, alas.

Wish I still had some of the old ads like this around! Heck, even some of the DEC or Sun ones - those were never as dead-smexy as SGI's ads, but they were still a whole lot more interesting than "I can build you a generic Xeon-and-Quadro box with Windows 11 for $125 less than Dell can"...

Reactions: Elf

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
Very cool, especially the TDI Explore ads! While not strictly an ad, I would like to present this cover of the Yugoslav (!) computer magazine "personalni računari " illustrating the typical SGI system administrator of 1992.

(more here https://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_sexy_ladies_of_yugoslavian_computer_magazines)

View attachment 1893
it’s hard to believe anybody could afford one then in the 90s! Perhaps this was more of a hobby mag and not a paid SGI placement? I’d be shocked if SGI invested in the country then… then again they did like to spend! LOL

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu