Repair/refurbish Nidec Indy power supply

toncho11

Jul 18, 2023
Hi,

I am not an electrical engineer, but I have managed to recap a few power supplies in the past.
I am thinking of recapping two Indy power supplies - one that works and one that does not. Both are Nidec.

1) How do I open it? I do not see where the screws are?
2) Are the capacitors the main source of problem for the Nidec? What are the ICs that a common point of failure for the Nidec?

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
There are no screws on this PSU. Just pry the case apart, and be careful to remove the cable quick disconnects from the board as you open it.
I have no idea what the problem is on yours. I just recapped one that was functional but noisy, and now it works like it's brand new! I only replaced the caps on the output side, and didn't touch the two large caps on the high voltage side at the input, or the RIFA, which were both fine.

Go for it! Good luck!

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu