Reanimator: new software appliance to install IRIX over a network

Linux-RISC

Apr 2, 2022
Spain
www.youtube.com
Hello everyone.

I belong to a Spanish Retrocomputing forum called Retrowiki.

I have developed Reanimator, a software appliance to install IRIX over a network using a Raspberry Pi or VirtualBox (no extra RBPi features).

Reanimator has some interesting features such as:
- multiple network protocols available: NFS, Samba, FTP, ...
- automatically download of selected IRIX versions from the Internet: 5.3, 6.2, 6.5.0, 6.5.7, 6.5.22 and 6.5.30
- full version including several IRIX versions
- a Raspberry Pi network assistant to select wired or Wi-Fi connection to the Internet. The RBPi will work as a router for your sgi computer, allowing access to the Internet through your Wi-Fi network
- selections file to simplify the IRIX installation
- easy configuration by menus
- mount ISO images and pendrives
- update scripts from the Internet

Please, browse https://github.com/Linux-RISC/Reanimator or http://irix.mersisl.com/ and give it a try.

Last edited:

kikems

Jul 22, 2020
Spain
Awesome, I use Reanimator every time with my SGI since few months and works really good.

isoriano

Nov 10, 2021
Sundern (Sauerland)/NRW/Germany
Muchas gracias .. reading through your wiki and the setup it reminds me a lot how booterizer works which I use.

Will give it a try once you have it ready for Sun :) Would be great to have it as dual "install server" for the sgi/Sun machines.

Saludos

Nacho

retronav

Dec 8, 2022
Hello
I'm trying to install Irix 5.3 on my Indy (R4400 100MHz 160MB RAM) using Reanimator but without luck.
I was able to run fx and do partitions I can start the installation process but then I'm askewd for IP address of rbpi and I get connection errors like in the attached image.
I was able to install 6.5.22 from the same rbpi but 5.3 is not installing. What do I do wrong? Any helpis much appreciated. TIA
IMG_4026.jpg

Linux-RISC

Apr 2, 2022
Spain
www.youtube.com
Questions:

1. setenv ipaddr 192.168.9.1 (or .2) on Command Monitor

2. Are you using IRIX 5.3 images downloaded from Reanimator repositories ? I assume this is the case.

2. What's your network architecture?
- To avoid problems, please download the full version (includes IRIX 5.3) and use the default option: "By default, Reanimator is configured to be connected directly to the client computer or to a network switch. This is the simplest configuration" https://github.com/Linux-RISC/Reanimator/blob/main/network_setup.md

3. Follow the IRIX 5.3 installation guide: "5.3 on Indy" https://github.com/Linux-RISC/Reanimator/blob/main/install_guide.md

4. "I was able to install 6.5.22 from the same rbpi but 5.3 is not installing" Uhmmm ... strange, I suspect IRIX 6.5.22 was installed and after rebooting the IP has changed due to DHCP. Have you cheched your IP on Command Monitor ?

Please, let me know your comments.

Reactions: flexion

retronav

Dec 8, 2022
Hi I was able to solve this few days ago.

I used RPi conected directly to Indy via RJ45 Cable.
I downloaded the 5.3 images inside the Pi - The full version.

TL;DR - I didnt read the step-by-step instruction carefully and I missed one step. "5. load filename" --> irix@rbpi:i/5.3.txt"
and that's it.
Sorry for bothering and big thanks for replying.
Reanimator is great tool and I will use it for sure many times in the future :)

Reactions: Linux-RISC

retronav

Dec 8, 2022
OK. Now when 5.3 on my Indy is installed I also installed 6.5.30 on my Octane2. But looks like the installation is not complete. I mean one of the thing that's missing is Control Audio (apane) a tool to control audio. I can't select it in ToolChest. Is it possible that I haven't installed some package? Which one?
The demos are not there either.

Also. Looks like the6.50.30that I installed is mips-3 architecture. Is it possible to install mips-4 binaries with Reanimator?

[edit]
The audio confidence test is working fine so the sound card is detected and working.

Linux-RISC

Apr 2, 2022
Spain
www.youtube.com
It's very strange, I have installed (among others) 6.5.30 dozens of times with no issues. Have you loaded the right selections file 6.5.30.txt ?

The distribution is an official set of CDs downloaded from popular sites (http://jrra.zone/sgi/), never custom images. I don't know if the binaries are mips-3 or mips-4, these binaries are the ones on the CDs.

As an alternative, you could try to install IRIX writing the sources manually, but there are some years I use selections file instead, please read the IRIX installation guide https://github.com/Linux-RISC/Reanimator/blob/main/install_guide.md:
Octane2: use "rbpi" or "debian" according to the installation platform
irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/6.5.30/disc1/dist
irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/6.5.30/disc2/dist
irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/6.5.30/disc3/dist
irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/6.5.30/apps/dist
irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/6.5.30/capps/dist
irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/irix65x/f1/dist
irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/irix65x/f2/dist
irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/irix65x/nfs/dist
(optional) irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/irix65x/devl/dist
(optional) irix@rbpi:i/IRIX/irix65x/devf13/dist

Please, let us know the install procedure to find the problem.

retronav

Dec 8, 2022
What I did was exactly what is decribed on your github page. irix@rbpi:i/6.530.txt. and it worked. there were some conflicts but it. was easy to solve. I used the command > install maintenance and then >go. hope that was ok.
I know it souds strange but Idont have apanel program. should the demos be installed also by default? (buttonfly, doom, etc?) because they are not.

I also asked on discord and I got the answer but I will repharese the question here. shouldn't the binaries be mips-4? when I do
$ file /bin/ls
I get mips-3 as a CPU architecture for this file. Is this OK? The reason I ask is because the original IRIX I got on this Octane2 previously (before I reinstalled it) was mips-4 binaries (I'm almost sure about this). but this is just aside question.
TIA Anyway

retronav

Dec 8, 2022
OK. I reinstalled it again and looks like now it's a complete install. everything works fine. But I'm really curious what went wrong last time that the audio was not working? I also have demos now. Thanks @Linux-RISC ;)

Reactions: Linux-RISC

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu