Power issue on Indigo 1 - worked for 20 minutes then died

jaholden

Jan 31, 2022
Hi All,

I powered up my R3k Indigo 1 for the first time since 2003 (apparently - it set the clock based on the last boot time). I replaced BT1 with a CR2032 in a 3D printed holder.

Everything was 100% fine for about 20 minutes then it just shut off, as if someone pulled the mains lead out the back. No bang, no smoke, just off.

It appears very dead at this point, although if you listen very closely to the fan vent you can hear a faint hissing. There's no smell.

I've seen the useful thread on Indigo PSU elsewhere. Before I go any further though, has anyone had success repairing a PSU with these symptoms? I'm familiar with working on SMPs and have a scope, voltmeters etc.

My first thought are:
  1. Verify that it is actually dead by checking for 5V and testing with a dummy load
  2. Check internal fuses
  3. Inspect for heat discolouration on the board
  4. Replace electrolytics
  5. ???
Thx, James

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Hi! I have heard people having some success with a simple replacement of the electrolytic capacitors in Indigo 1 supplies. Beyond that and any fuses that you've mentioned, common things to check are the switching MOSFETs and switching diodes. I probably would not try running it too much if it is in a bad state as you could cause other components to go.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu