Origin 300 serial port speed

LWR

Aug 28, 2023
Hi,
Recently I got an origin 300, i've got it mostly back up and running and am able to connect to the serial console at 38400 BUT... I like Decservers and its maximum speed is 19200.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is or how to configure the console port speed on the Origin.

I have tried the manual, I've tried searching, and I'm missing it or it isn't possible.

Thanks!

Zarchia

Aug 28, 2023
I don't own an Origin 300 but it seemed unlikely that this was impossible. (However, the only SGI machines I've used via serial console have been Altix servers, which are obviously very different!)

It looks like you can set baud rate for the diagnostics console with setenv dbaud 19200 (which is also "used by IRIS for the entire startup") and for the remote console with setenv rbaud 19200.

You can find the full list of baud rates (and other environment variables) in the PROM(1M) manpage and in the PROM documentation. It looks like this feature is available on all the SGI MIPS machines (This Old SGI gives it as available on the 4D machines).

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu