o2 boot external?

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Ooof, it has been a long time but yes I did this with my O2. In my case, I had it booting off an internal drive. From that drive I partitioned & formatted the external drive and figured out the device ID stuff. The next step was to go into the prom and change the boot disk + partition. I think the syntax is something like (scsi_id >> partition_id >> lun_id) . Once you've done that and rebooted again I think the Irix installation disks should point themselves to the right place. That lets you install a new Irix environment on the external disk, which will be the new boot default. That or you have to enter the ID in the installer o_O . So it really took a while.

For references, it was a lot of manpage use and some articles, ?maybe on Higher Intellect? about the settings. I can nab the prom settings from my O2, but am not sure about the rest.

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
Maybe these environment variables will do a better job explaining it. The OSLoader and Partition variables in particular.
24-05-17 09-34-43 8608-min.jpg

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu