Non-IRIX 3D Software!

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Seeing that I had to engage Blender in order to fully render my latest Maya 6.5 creation, I've decided to give Blender a serious look, so Last-night I made the first step in learning how to use this software on my Mac, by starting with a tutorial on YouTube and this is the initial result! (There are still many more stages to cover with this model)

This is the beginning of the first model I've ever modelled in Blender, and from what I can see so far, Blender's actually a rather awesome piece of 3D software!

I have a fairly good understanding of how to model objects such as buildings and machines, but have not yet tried to model "organic" objects such as food, people or animals! (This is an understanding that I feel I need to gain, before moving forward in an attempt to accurately model the skins for an SGI machine such as an O2, as they're fairly organic in their form!)

Here's the next iteration and my Blender layout:

Here's the finished doughnut:

I still have to finish the rest of the scene in the tutorial! (I've learned more in this one tutorial than I have in years!)

All this "doughnutting" about has caused me crave the real thing, so today I had to pay Krispy Creme a visit! (They're way too sweet for my tase though!!!!)

Here's the next bit of progress on this Blender tutorial!

Here's the finished still image:

Modified to this:

Here's my final adjustment: (The tutorial shows you how to randomly generate and distribute the sprinkles on the surface of the icing, but Blender doesn't possess a means of preventing intersections, leading to a lack of realism! So I've reduced the number of sprinkles to avoid this problem!)

Looking at pictures of actual doughnuts seems to indicate that they in fact have fewer sprinkles than I originally had in the scene anyway!

This is the final render: (I've learned many valuable tricks here!)

If anyone here is interested in learning Blender, here's a link to "Blender Guru's" YouTube channel:

His tutorials are great!

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
That’s pretty rad! Makes me want a donut too :censored: It seems like you might have done some color correction on the final image, or was that straight from the ray tracer?

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
It was straight from the ray-tracer, the lighting setup as well as the arrangement nodes defining the doughnut and icing textures were altered and optimised for the final render.

Last edited:

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Here's the scene setup: (Notice the noise in the image, as it's not de-noised in the viewport!)

This is the node setup for the doughnut texture:

This defines the brick wall:

This defines the icing:

This defines the random colour of the sprinkles:

This defines the condensation above the coffee, towards the top of the cup:

This is the compositing node setup to de-noise the cycles rendering engine's output:

Last edited:
Reactions: rbz

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
The module forms part of a more mature conceptualisation I have regarding this rendering that I did about 20+ years ago in 3D Studio Max:

It is the upper midrange unit employing my GIGO Wave-guide profile which radially-symmetrically (to achieve reaction cancelling) rebounds the rearward traveling wave produced by the drive unit to infinity in a very small form factor, without any return reflection to strike the rear surface of the driver's diaphragm and interfere with its output.

I've conceptualised a co-axial drive unit for this enclosure, featuring a cone constructed of a profiled, machined titanium/metallic-carbon sandwich, with a proprietary Fur-Tree pattern, in an effort to produce the largest diameter midrange unit possible, by eliminating the standing waves which tend to be set up across the diaphragms of such units, eliminating the need for multiple midrange units and thus eliminating temporal anomalies in the midrange, which result in temporal smearing of the midrange.

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu