Nekoware blocks for text? help please :(

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Hi can anyone help me with this? I've installed some Nekoware on a fresh IRIX installation of 6.5.30 on my o2, but most of the GTK ported apps display blocks for text. I think it is pango related, as pango says: 'Pango-WARNING failed to choose a font, expect ugly output'

Here are some examples:

PXL_20240317_124606666.jpg

PXL_20240317_124758293.jpg

FYI I have tried running as root, just to rule out any permissions issues.

I noticed a correlation between the two following fixes:

https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7158

"pango-querymodules > pango.modules" - on Linux

and on Irixnet: https://forums.irixnet.org/thread-1794-p...l#pid11811

Error in creation of /usr/nekoware/etc/pango/pango.modules
its empty
need to run pango-querymodules > /usr/nekoware/etc/pango/pango.modules
by @nekron2600
I did this and nothing changes unfortunately.

I was running mostly with the 'CURRENT' branch. Last night I attempted upgrading most of the installed modules, including pango with the 'BETA' modules, and then some from 'CANAVAN'. But still, nothing has changed.

I really don't know what I've done wrong, this isn't my first time using Nekoware. I've successfully run Nekoware on two other SGI machines in the past without issue, I mean, it isn't rocket science. I just don't know whats up with this particular install.

I'd really appreciate some help, it's really annoying and I want to solve it!
Thanks,

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
I just want to add: I'm not 'mixing' sgug-rse/Nekoware together in any silly way either. I have two seperate accounts on the system with different environmental variables, one configured for sgug and the other for nekoware. But still, even with that said, this issue persists even on the root account which isn't tailored to sgug or nekoware, it's environment is neutral.

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Just to update: I have fixed this, but only by merging a 'good' copy of nekoware from my Octane with the one on my O2. It seems that although Fontconfig said it was installed, I was missing all the 'fc-*' apps you usually get inside /bin. Very strange indeed. Especially since Fontconfig is a dependency for most software, I did try reinstalling it. Anyway, working now.

Reactions: doc

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu