IRIX 6.5 lost visual login?

eharmon

Feb 28, 2024
I recently repaired an O2 I've had for quite some time to learn more IRIX, I've never used it much more than a basic end user on university systems.

Everything was working well after reseating everything, replacing the clock battery, and resetting the PROM data (lucky!), with the normal graphical login and a few accounts. Logging in brought up Interactive Desktop as expected.

Last shutdown, everything seemed normal and I don't remember changing any settings.

My system has IRIX 6.5.16 on it, so I decided to back it up before installing some updates. I wanted to pull a full disk image so I removed the disk and plugged it into an Adapter SCSI card in a PC booted into Ubuntu. I did a block copy from the block device, and Linux never mounted any of the IRIX volumes (since it can't anyway).

After finishing, I placed the drive back into my O2 and it booted normally....but I'm getting XDM instead of Visual Login. And, after logging in, I get dropped into a shell running in X, without any Interactive Desktop.

`chkconfig` shows visuallogin on and noiconlogin off...so I don't see why this is happening, or how it would have gotten changed.

Any ideas?

eharmon

Feb 28, 2024
Still struggling to make sense of this. I dug around nvram and the full set of recently modified filesystem components, but looking at the syslog, the only new thing I see is:
Code:
Mar  3 15:47:32 3B:IRIS1 xdm[987]: SetPerClientControls failed
Then after logging in, 4Dwm crashes and dumps a core.

I can't find any references to what SetPerClientControls is trying to do though, no anything funky with my X11 configuration.

eharmon

Feb 28, 2024
For anyone else that finds this thread, it appears to, as best as I can guess, relate to the EDID of the monitor.

Some EDID data works fine, others don't. When allowing my VGA scaler to create it's own EDID information, I get the xdm failure.

When using my Dell ST2310f it works, and when setting the scaler to clone the EDID from the ST2310f, it works as well.

So if you see that in syslog, give a different monitor a try.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu