Indigo2 Max IMPACT: Stuttery graphics and power supply noise

twylo

Apr 29, 2020
Poulsbo, WA
loomcom.com
Hi all,

I recently found an Indigo2 Max IMPACT board set for very cheap, probably because it was in absolutely trashed Indigo2 IMPACT skins with obvious water damage. Luckily, the water damage was external only, the board set itself seems to have escaped any contact with water and came out looking fine, if slightly dusty. It also had the IMPACT Channel Option board, which I have carefully removed and set aside because I have no breakout box or cable for it.

I transplanted the Max IMPACT set it into my Indigo2 Solid IMPACT, which is more or less pristine condition. It mostly works fine, but the frame rate on 3D demos is oddly stuttery. It's not smooth and fluid like it should be. When it stutters, there's accompanying noise that sounds like coil whine coming from the PSU, like a very soft "rat-a-tat-tat". This only happens when playing with the 3D demos, otherwise it seems fine.

I guess my assumption is that the power supply is not keeping up with the demand of the Max IMPACT set, causing voltage dropouts... I have zero evidence for this other than the coil whine noise.

I had this PSU apart a few years ago to inspect the caps and everything looked fine visually at that time, so I left the original caps alone. But, I plan to recap it in the near future, now that this has happened, I probably won't be using it until then.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Does my wild theory about the PSU not keeping up sound reasonable?

CB_HK

Jun 13, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
You're not far off with respect to the power supply issue. There is a chance that your PSU may not be able to handle running the Max IMPACT boards at full throttle. There were four different versions of power supplies for the I2 depending on whether it was an Express or IMPACT configuration.

Jodeman's SGI Part Numbers.png

If you're running the PSU that was designed for an R4400 IMPACT machine (060-8001-xxx OR 060-0021-xxx) you may be having trouble with giving enough power to the R10K and the Max boards (assuming your I2 is a parts build, which a lot are considering PSUs fail and its easier to swap other ones in).

If you're running 060-8002-xxx it may be that the PSU needs a bit more TLC to get it back up to full specs. Same with 060-0027-xxx.

Hopefully that gives you an idea of what to look for next. Let us know what you find.

Reactions: twylo

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu