Hello! (SLC, Utah)

wayned

Feb 21, 2022
Utah
twitter.com
Hi all,

I was just 17(mid-90's) when I landed an internship with Viewpoint Datalabs in Orem, Utah. It was my first exposure to Silicon Graphics and 'high-end' computing in general. I've always wanted an SGI for my own. After a long hiatus from 3d graphics, the nostalgia has returned. An estate seller on eBay offered me a discount on a Indy I was watching — it was hard to resist. No photos of the internals on the listing, and the description was simply, "powers on untested." For the low price, I figured I would begin sourcing whatever parts were stripped out of it.

The next week a pizza-box-shaped package showed up. I opened up the blue case expecting to see a bare chassis. NOPE. It was fully loaded. R5000 150MHz, 256MB ram, SCSI drive on /disk1, GR2 XC graphics boards intact. Plugged everything in, pressed the power button. The boot chime could not be more 90's. It booted right to the login screen. I thought, 'this doesn't happen, right?' IRIX 6.5.16 pre-installed, ready to go!

I'd like to add a SCSI2SD board to make file transfer easier. Any recommended starting points?

Anyway, super excited to learn the ins and outs of this machine again and be a part of the community.

- Wayne

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu