Has anyone ever put an ssd in a scsi sgi computer

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Certainly worth a try, if you can obtain one at a reasonable price! Having seen similar units for sale before though, my suspicion would be the price is more than people would want to pay by an extra digit or so, since they are generally selling to businesses that have no choice but to prop up old tech.

vvuk

Administrator
Aug 25, 2021
bought a simple LSI PCI-X card and connected a SATA SSD to his old SGI!

It only works in the Fuel/Tezro/Origin 3x0 machines, but hey, it's something!
FWIW, I just did this recently in an Origin 350. Works great; speeds are pretty excellent:

#---------------------------------------------------------
# req_size fwd_wt fwd_rd bwd_wt bwd_rd rnd_wt rnd_rd
# (bytes) (MB/s) (MB/s) (MB/s) (MB/s) (MB/s) (MB/s)
#---------------------------------------------------------
16384 91.39 271.36 60.61 162.03 20.37 29.58
32768 77.54 251.59 61.02 145.73 40.54 55.43
65536 275.38 209.11 255.17 69.88 239.96 96.22
131072 274.30 212.25 256.30 85.60 259.20 122.00

I did a fresh install with both the SATA SSD and a SCSI HD in there. You have to use the SCSI HD as the boot partition -- or, I believe, load the kernel via bootp() which I haven't done yet but I intend to try. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I partitioned the scsi drive so that inst would have something to copy the install onto, and then once I was in inst I dropped to the shell, used fx to partition the SATA drive (since it was visible at that point), and then in inst swapped mounts so that /usr was the SSD. That way I installed to the SSD from the start.

I made a more detailed writeup here: LSI SATA in Origin 350 - HackMD

Note I didn't have to do any firmware downgrading; maybe I got lucky? I had firmware version 1.26.0.0 on a SAS3041X-R.

Edit: the SSD itself is a 500gb Samsung 840 EVO I had laying around.

Reactions: Elf

SheilaNoe

Apr 11, 2022
Hello, thank you guys for sharing the good steps to solve the problem of Arius. I had the same issue with the old hard drives, and the main problem was that I was unable to open the required folders, so I tried the different transfer services to archive those files and folders and reopened them via Winrar, this didn't work properly, so I decided to search for a solid hard disk recovery software/service. Hopefully, I found a raid data recovery website that helped me a lot with fixing errors in my disks.

Last edited:

LXLS

Feb 7, 2022
Sarasota FL
I haven't tried for most of the reasons mentioned above. Even the v6 SCSI2SD is super slow, and SGI machines don't strike me as the type that would be happy about having slow drives in them. Most of my SGI's came to me with their original hardware in them, and even the older machines always had HDD's in them that were considered fast in their day. Heck, I haven't even used a SCSI2SD in any other machine, I have a load of Ultra320 drives from some array's I decommissioned a few years back and have been slowly using those up.

Jamieson

Jul 7, 2022
Illinois
Seems to be lots of cheap SAS SSDs on the used market. I understand these SAS use the SCSI command set. Does a parallel SCSI to serial SCSI device or chip exist that would allow these SAS SSDs to work in an SGI machine?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu