For Sale: Apple Macintosh PowerBook G3 (Kanga) | 250MHz | 32MB RAM | 32GB SSD | 20x CD-Rom (updated)

doc

Jun 23, 2022
Howdy,

For sale is my Apple Macintosh PowerBook G3 (Kanga). Docs on this model are on:
1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerBook_G3#Macintosh_PowerBook_G3_(Kanga)
2) https://everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g3/specs/powerbook_g3_1st.html
3) https://www.powerbuch.ch/powerbook-g3-kanga.html

It is little used, and in excellent condition -- all hinges/legs are operational, and there are practically no visible scratches (see pictures).

Comes as pictured -- the machine itself, PSU, still-functioning battery, 20x CD-Rom, and a good number of apps and games installed on disk (more games than visible in one of the pictures).

Machine status:

1) The CMOS battery has been removed not to cause a leak (it did not leak so far)
2) The original 5GB PATA hard disk was replaced with a new Transcend PSD330 32 GB SSD (PATA (UDMA 4), 2,5")
3) The partition has NOT been resized to fill the whole disk, so there is ready-made space to install other supported OSes (MacOS X Server 1.2 and/or Rhapsody)
4) Mac OS was upgraded to 9.1, with files needed to further upgrade to 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 copied to disk
5) Keyboard comes with Latin-2 stickers on some keys, if that's a problem they should be removed (see picture of keyboard)

I can ship this so we are not limited to exchange in person. I checked the shipping costs -- $40 for US, and for European destinations it can only be the same or less.

I will post this offer on Ebay in a week or two (and add a reply here when I do). If you would like to buy it before Ebay, send me an offer here via private message. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

doc

Jun 23, 2022
I have opened the machine to remove the CMOS battery. It did not leak. Altogether the situation inside is as good as new.
I am attaching pictures just to keep parts of this little machine archived. The disk on the picture is the old one which has been replaced.

Attachments

Last edited:

doc

Jun 23, 2022
After installing the new SSD disk I upgraded Mac OS 8.1 to Mac OS 8.5 and then to Mac OS 9.1.
The built-in screen (800x600) seems to have 2 dead pixels. The screen and brightness are completely fine, not dim -- the pictures below are strange just because I took them from a close distance.

Attachments

Last edited:

doc

Jun 23, 2022
Previously in this thread I mentioned that the machine was occasionally locking up during recent testing. I suspected this was due to disk errors.
That was indeed the issue - after I installed the new SSD disk the crashes stopped. So the machine is fully operational!

Last edited:

Kouzui

Apr 11, 2024
You may want to make a thread over on 68kmla's Trading post. Kangas are pretty desirable for some, IIRC.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu