dog / flight demo source?

stringfellow

Sep 12, 2022
I'm looking for the source code for the latest dog / flight demo program. I found the an earlier version of the source code (back from 1988), but want to get something similar. My hope is to port that code over to a Windows based program to make this demo to a wider audience of users.

This was attempted before by an SGI employee from the 1990s in conjunction withe SGI's Cosmo GL initiative. The port had work to go the make it complete and was really built for Win95 rather than more recent versions of Windows. It would be even better if I could get this source code.

I know its a long shot, but any help would be appreciated.

seclorum

Sep 14, 2022
Vienna, Austria
I don't have an answer to your problem, but the subject of flight simulation on SGI machine is fascinating - have you considered trying a Flightgear port as well? I'd be happy to help with any issues there, as I am an avid Flightsim fan - its the only reason I have a Windows machine in my lab (DCS, MSFlight, X-Plane and Flightgear .. all loaded to the gills) ..

Reactions: AstridRedfern

AstridRedfern

Sep 20, 2022
There's a port of version 2.4 - which I suspect is the same 1988 version you refer to - to a custom ARM device known as the Alice4. The source code for the port is at https://github.com/lkesteloot/alice/tree/master/alice4/software/flight

It's not the VGX/GX/GTX version with the two extra planes, and it's certainly not the latest version, but as it's a port it might be helpful when doing your own port?

---------------

Source code for version 2.4 on another architecture/OS - this time I think it's the original IRIX version - is at https://notwood.net/sgiflight/old-flight-src.zip . https://notwood.net/sgiflight/ is probably the site that you found that earlier Windows port at, though.

It's quite odd that the source download there is for version 2.4, because the Windows binary is a port of version 3.4.1. Again, the source code is for the original version without the 727 and F-14D, but these planes are both in the Windows binary.

Perhaps this source was the basis for the Alice4 code?

EDIT: I did try to run the Windows binary under Wine. It failed almost immediately. If anyone has been able to run it successfully in Wine, do please post some advice in this thread.

---------------

These are the only source downloads I know about - sorry! If anyone knows download links for any other versions, please post them here. I've been working on the SGI Dogfight Wikipedia article, and would love to add more source code links to "External Links".

Reactions: Elf

AstridRedfern

Sep 20, 2022
Although I don't have full source code for any other versions, there was an unofficial patch made to replace the UDP broadcast code with point-to-point communication between two hosts. Since version 2.4 as mentioned above uses UDP broadcast (unlike later versions which used multicast) you might find it relevant. Here's the diff:

It was written by someone working at the Lund Institute of Technology in Sweden.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu