Anyone have IRIS Universe Magazine.

dbwr

May 5, 2023
I periodically check eBay and ABE books for IRIS Universe. If I ever find a reasonable auction I will ask for contributions from you all in order to buy them then I will scan the issues for everyone, that's the whole plan. I work with people who were SGI mgmt and no one has the issues. Heartbreaker but I will keep looking. There is the one eBay auction but the price is nuts and really I could not care less about COREL magazine, which is the majority of the lot. Anyway, someone somewhere has the whole collection, and we need to find it.
Well, I have 4 issues Iris Universe :
Iris Universe Winter 1989
Iris Universe #13 46pg 1990 ?
Iris Universe #14 50pg 1990 ?

Iris Universe #15 58pg 1990 ?
..also 1 pipeline(Premier issue 1989) but I think I have more.
photo tomorrow possibly if someone wants.
Possible even swap for my request seen in Bazaar section -
"wanted 80's programming" ... even if just a pdf. The manual(s) would be cool.

Last edited:

AstridRedfern

Sep 20, 2022
More Pipeline issues:

Volume 3 Issue 1 (Spring 1986):
which I found via the link at https://manx-docs.org/details.php/109,21176
A different scan is hosted at https://www.rcsri.org/library/80s/SGI-Pipeline-1986.pdf but the text on this one is not OCRed and so cannot be copied, highlighted or searched.

And Volume 2 Issue 1 (Fall 1985):
which I found via the link at https://manx-docs.org/details.php/109,21177
A different scan is hosted at https://www.rcsri.org/library/80s/SGI-Pipeline-1985.pdf but, sadly, is non-OCR.

Not surprisingly, there's plenty more SGI scans at http://typewritten.org/Articles/#SGI - but none of them are issues of IRIS Universe, Pipeline or any other magazines. And, unfortunately, there's no https version of that URL either.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

AstridRedfern

Sep 20, 2022
@dbwr I've posted a couple of replies to your Bazaar post. In brief: I think I've found a downloadable PDF of the document you're looking for, plus some supporting documents and a version for Fortran instead of C. But they're all PDF, I couldn't find any physical copies when I looked on eBay.

So... how about taking a look, letting everyone know if that's the doc you were looking for, and (if it is) returning the favour with those IRIS Universe and Pipeline issues?

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
I have some good news to share and I need some good quality feedback. There are a couple of complete issues available online that we have all found. Aside from those I have obtained a total of 10 more issues.

I tried to find any folks who had them. I have contacts with ex SGI folks and I asked everyone I know and reached out to famed SGI staffers but no avail, no one had any of the issues. Seems strange and sad to me.

So without other options I bit the bullet.

I bought the eBay auction with five IRIS universe magazines (and a load of COREL that I could not care less about). I contacted the seller 5 times, asking to parcel out the IRIS universe, or even rent them to me for a week but no luck, so I had to buy the lot. That turned out to be an adventure because when the order arrived there were no IRIS universe magazines. They had made a mistake and removed them from the bundle. So it took a few days to prove that and sort it out and in the end they sent the 5 issues to me. I bought another expensive single issue from ABEbooks, which has feature articles on the Reality Engine, Animation and the R4000. On top of those I asked dbwr to spend a long weekend going through his garage and sent him some cash for shipping and for his considerable trouble to do that and to pack the stuff very well and ship it to me. So, I have sourced a total of 10 IRIS universe magazines.

IRIS universe Winter '89
IRIS universe #13
IRIS universe #14
IRIS universe #15
IRIS universe #21 (en-route from bookstore, will take over a week to get here)
IRIS universe #27
IRIS universe #33
IRIS universe #34
IRIS universe #35
IRIS universe #38

I have 9 of them scanned and turned to .pdf already. I have not added a page with "Scanned by" in the issues in order to keep them original. I would like to ask if folks would help me offset the costs. I am in for ~$270. I am not interested in making a profit and I am not looking for reimbursement for time and effort. I am thinking I would just put up my PayPal email and people can just contribute what they think is fair. That seems reasonable to me.

As for how to get them, my wish would be that they are hosted here. Is that possible somehow @Northsky or would that be frowned upon? Worst case I could archive.org them but I was thinking it might attract even more folks here. Smallest issue is ~15MB and largest is ~60MB.

So please let me know what you people think.

Cheers,
KB

PS. I have a busy life with work and family but I am scanning the brochures as well, so they will be available as .pdfs too.
-EDIT- I scanned the brochures and made them available, enjoy!

Last edited:

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
TL;DR is if anyone interested sent $20-30 ($2.00 - $3.00 per issue). I would get some reimbursement from paying essentially $27 per issue. Once I hear back if it's OK to post the issues here then I'll do that and I'll put my PayPal address up also.

Cheers,

KB

Reactions: twylo

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
I've received and scanned the 10th issue. @Northsky would it be okay to post the 10 issues here somewhere? If not, no pressure.
Cheers,

KB

AstridRedfern

Sep 20, 2022
I have been a little out-of-action because I've been preparing for an upcoming hospital visit. I did not know about @KayBee's August 7 posting until now. I'll read this properly when I can, but may not be able to actually do much about any of it until the second week of September.

Though I can probably contribute some money, but again will need to wait until September as I'm dealing with a lot of expenses related to that hospital visit right now.

bitpak

Dec 13, 2022
archive.org
I found a bunch of IRIS Universe mags and other early 90s CG mags.

The issue numbers are:

IRIS Universe Summer 1989
IRIS Universe #11
IRIS Universe #12
IRIS Universe #13
IRIS Universe #14
IRIS Universe #15
IRIS Universe #17
IRIS Universe #18
IRIS Universe #20
IRIS Universe #28
IRIS Universe #29
IRIS Universe #37
IRIS Universe #38

Numbers in italics were previously mentioned by @KayBee
I'll be able to scan and share these mags later this year as they're currently being shipped to me from another side of the globe.

IU1.JPG
IU2.JPG

Last edited:

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
That is excellent! Man I hope we get the complete series eventually. I sure would like to host them here, but it seems maybe that is not acceptable.

Reactions: bitpak

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Maybe a space concern. I'll ask again. Incidentally our computers will always be getting faster so it makes sense to me to not over compress the .pdf or scan at too low a resolution.

And again, thank you for getting the issues. These things are like gold to me as well like what twill said.

Cheers,

KB

Noguri

Sep 10, 2023
My first post on this forum so hello everyone :)

I got some more issues not yet listed (in bold hereunder)
I have no idea when I will be able to scan them as I am away from home and won't come back any time soon unfortunately. Anyway, you know now they still exist somewhere :)

IRIS Universe Summer 1989
IRIS Universe #11
IRIS Universe #12
IRIS Universe #13
IRIS Universe #14
IRIS Universe #15

IRIS Universe #16
IRIS Universe #17
IRIS Universe #18
IRIS Universe #20

IRIS Universe #22
IRIS Universe #24
IRIS Universe #26
IRIS Universe #27

IRIS Universe #28
IRIS Universe #29

IRIS Universe #30
IRIS Universe #31
IRIS Universe #33
IRIS Universe #34
IRIS Universe #35
IRIS Universe #36

IRIS Universe #37
IRIS Universe #38

IRIS Universe #39

Strip 3.jpg

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Now we're talking! Glad you have them Noguri, this is starting to come together! I can scan for anyone but my technique is that I am not concerned with the physical magazines, just getting the best flat scan so I cut the bindings.

Exciting to see a collection forming!

KayBee

Feb 24, 2020
Thanks to one cool person for the PayPal! It helps!

Last edited:

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu