Alias Poweranimator: How to prevent texture noise/aliasing during animations??

tmelr

Feb 27, 2021
Hello. I'm doing a simple walk-through animation and have a tiling texture applied to the floor. There is aliasing/noise on the floor texture the furthest from the camera (towards the horizon line).

How to prevent this aliasing?

Global render settings:
Minimum Anti-aliasing: 1
Maximum Anti-aliasing: 8
Threshold: 0.950
Jitter: On

Texture settings:

Quadratic filtering

tmelr

Feb 27, 2021
Sounds like the classic aliasing artifact which is easilly solved by using mip-mapping. Does PowerAnimator have an option for using mipmaps ?
Yes it does, which I used referred to as "Blend" or "Quadratic" filtering on the texture options and I increased the blur amount on the textures. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Alias/Poweranimator has no "anti-alias filter" by default, and the one it does have is very blurry and not very good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing_filter

I've used mental ray and the 3ds max scanline renderer before and managed to get rid of this texture aliasing. It might be just "the nature of the beast" with Poweranimator.

Thanks anyway, though.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu