Your gear

Mr-Digital

Dec 15, 2022
This was one of my Origin2000 systems (2004/2005), the biggest one. It was from the BMW Computer Center. It had 16x R10000 195Mhz and 16x R10000 250Mhz with 21GB RAM and tons of diskspace. I had all this installed in one IRIX 6.5 Operating system and on the CPU photo it runs Seti@Home. My electric power monthly bill got sky rocket after I had this machine running at home and in winter I needed not much extra heating.
It was the twice heaviest machine I ever had at home and it was really great to get the chance to put my hands on this wonderful technique as a hobbyist.

Attachments

Mr-Digital

Dec 15, 2022
This was my Challenge and Onxy collection at that time. The first Challenge was labeled as Siemens-Nixdorf and was R4400 based, later I also bought a PowerChallenge R10000.
Onyx Deskside RealityEngine2, an Onyx2 Deskside and the be(a)st was the Onyx 10000 Rack InfiniteReality aka "Terminator".
Please don't ask what this is on the right side of the Onyx2, it was the most crazy and heavy computer I ever bought, it is no SGI system :LOL:
I really miss these good old days ... but time goes on.

Attachments

Last edited:

bjjames

May 2, 2022
Here is my little SGI corner with a with a tribute to the great creations made n these machines. The octane 2 is in my work den.

I have a space in the basement storage with more sg monitors, systems, and lots of parts.

Attachments

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Two days ago I decided to reorganise my computer room, as it hadn't changed much in the last 6 years! (I moved some more systems in, and a few out and now it feels much more spacious!)

The boxes on top of my printer contain the parts of my dual Pentium pro build that i still need to get to!

I also have consoles and computers placed around the rest of my place!

My computer space in Cape Town remains unchanged for now:

The question I'm starting to ask myself is, when is enough enough?

Reactions: bitpak and doc

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I just made this adjustment to my secondary desk, allowing the PlayStation's to be reintroduced to my computer room! (This monitor's also more premium that the two that it replaced!)

Reactions: doc

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
I just made this adjustment to my secondary desk, allowing the PlayStation's to be reintroduced to my computer room! (This monitor's also more premium that the two that it replaced!)

Really nice setup! I wouldn't put the workstations on the floor, especially blocking my feet when using the desk.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
My secondary desk is only used for testing builds and making video's, so I don't sit there!

There currently isn't any other place for those workstations to go, and they've been sitting on the floor for years. (If I do need to sit for any length of time, I'll simply move them out of the way, as they're not plugged in!)

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
Yeah I know what you mean, I had a "shoe-box" room before and it sucks when you are a gear slut.

CRaven

Sep 25, 2022
Sweet! What Dell monitor is that? Are you connecting to the Tezro by DVI or are you using a converter? I've been looking for one or two for my Tezro, I have been undecided between Dell and Eizo.

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I'm using the primary DCD DVI output with a DVI to HDMI converter to interface it with the monitor. (It's better to use the DCD output, as the standard DVI output on the Tezro switches to an analog mode as IRIX loads, which can be problematic. It does return to a digital mode once IRIX comes up.)

The monitor's a DELL S3221QS

Reactions: doc and CRaven

excelsisba

Sep 23, 2023
Hey guys, new here. Here's one of my SGI setups:
UV 2000.
I wish... I do however get to use it and test other UV2k parts as part of my job! This thing can push out some BTUs!
This particular setup is a 2 - IRU setup and has one Base I/O for one large image and has an assortment of regular blades and some GPU blades. There's actually 4 - IRUs pictured but each is setup in two different 2 - IRU setups.
The NL6 (NUMALink six) is an extension of the QPI that connects CPU to memory to any blade within the setup.
Cheers!

20230509_131300.jpg

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: flexion

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu