Your gear

mamorim01

Oct 11, 2020
Spain
www.thegarage.space
Greetings from Spain. Bumping an old thread to showcase my units, if that is okay. Nothing too exciting, but they have been well looked after and taken care of. I have been reading a bit on the recent surge of Impact2 PSU failures both on the hardware section on the forum and elsewhere, and dreading the moment these may go.

An R4400 Indigo2 fitted with both an Elan an XZ card, and a humble O2 with an R5000 processor in the background, headless and connected through the serial port.

A single R10000@250MHz Octane fitted with an ESSI graphics board, next to an R4600 Indy fitted with a 24-bit XL card, awaiting an OS upgrade.

And an Indigo2 IMPACT unit, fitted with an R10000@195MHz processor and SolidImpact card, also awaiting OS upgrade.

All of them are connected through a small LAN to a Linux server that serves files through an NFS share. I find it much easier to browse the internet and dig files from there, using the Linux server as a single repository for packages and IRIX releases.

Besides the SGI gear I also keep a Sun Fire V240 (dual Ultrasparc IIIi) server in the same room and connected to the same LAN, although it is rarely used it being extremely noisy and all. A small number of Sun stations is also kept in storage, although rarely used these days.

s0ke

Jul 12, 2020
I used to have alot more but my minimalism kicked in. Nothing too fancy:

CPU: MIPS R5000 Processor Chip Revision: 10.0
FPU: MIPS R5000 Floating Point Coprocessor Revision: 10.0
1 300 MHZ IP32 Processor
Main memory size: 512 Mbytes
Secondary unified instruction/data cache size: 1 Mbyte on Processor 0
Instruction cache size: 32 Kbytes
Data cache size: 32 Kbytes
FLASH PROM version 4.18
Integral SCSI controller 0: Version ADAPTEC 7880
Disk drive: unit 1 on SCSI controller 0 (unit 1)
CDROM: unit 4 on SCSI controller 0
Integral SCSI controller 1: Version ADAPTEC 7880
On-board serial ports: tty1
On-board serial ports: tty2
On-board EPP/ECP parallel port
CRM graphics installed
Integral Ethernet: ec0, version 1
Iris Audio Processor: version A3 revision 0
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x9004, device 0x8078) PCI slot 1
PCI Adapter ID (vendor 0x9004, device 0x8078) PCI slot 2
Video: MVP unit 0 version 1.4
with no AV Card or Camera.
Vice: TRE

Attachments

trixster1979

Sep 18, 2020
New owner, picked it up just last week from another member here, absoutely loving tinkering with it. I’ve got about 25 other old machines but this is up there with the best of them.

300Mhz, 512MB, MXI

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I like the left/right desk rack setup! Looks like it has the proper rails; was it a custom job or made for recording perhaps?

mopar5150.com

Mar 10, 2021
I like the left/right desk rack setup! Looks like it has the proper rails; was it a custom job or made for recording perhaps?
Hey Elf,
I built the desk for my office as I got tired of having machines piled all over. I took a full size SGI rack and split it in half (sacrilege I know) and then made a structure to tie it all together. I wanted something I could stand and work on hardware at. I made the top big enough to give me space to open up a system and still be able to connect it up for testing.

HAL

Administrator
Oct 22, 2019
RM Tezro- and Onyx350 bricks with a V12 or a DM3 have a special blower which releases warm air through the rear AND through small holes on the side of the brick. Probably a good idea to take this into account when building such a desk.

mopar5150.com

Mar 10, 2021
There is about two inches from the Tezro case and the rack inner wall, this has been sufficient.
There are some fans in the back corner of the desk that pull the trapped heat out.

Good catch HAL.

mopar5150.com

Mar 10, 2021
Very nice setup!!! I see you also have an Nvidia Quadro PLEX 1000! I still have to run mine up! (And see if it'll run Crysis!)
Thanks! That Quadro plex was gutted and is now my DOS game machine. It has a 3 slot passive backplane with a SBC, soundblaster and a power supply. I prefer an actual DOS machine for the old games.

Reactions: Elf

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
The floor's full, so now I'm going to have to start building upwards! (I have a second IRIS Indigo inbound tomorrow!)

I still need to fit two more desk sides into this little room! (So the G3 and G4's will definitely have to be shelved!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
An IRIS Indigo from @longjohn.

It's in pretty good cosmetic condition:

It's an R3000@33MHz with 40MB of RAM and Entry Graphics: (I replaced the battery with a socketed one, as soon as I unpacked it!)

I don't currently have the correct keyboard and mouse, so this is as far as I could get for the moment after replacing the battery!

I'm going to still order in some parts for it from Ian Mapleson at a later date. (Max out the RAM and give it Elan Graphics)

Or Maybe just max out the RAM and see how the entry R3000 system measured up to a maxed out R4000 system! (Would make an interesting video!)

In the future I hope to do a shootout between this machine and my other IRIS Indigo, which is a maxed-out R4000 system.

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
That is a gorgeous Indigo! I just love these old machines, their simplicity and the feel of working on a 'computer' or real workstation is just unparalleled. I'd suggest just max out the ram, keep the graphics as if for nostalgia.

There is a film somewhere about Pixar (one of their Chrismas films?) which shows Ed Catmull peeking into his Indigo. :)

CB_HK

Jun 13, 2020
Las Vegas, NV
I’ve never posted a full shot of my setup before, so here it is!

The far left side has a Personal IRIS 4D/30 with 128mb of RAM and Super Turbo+ Graphics with a Micropolis 340mb hard drive and QIC-120 tape drive.

Left side table has an R8K Indigo2 with 640mb of RAM, a 9GB IBM drive and Extreme Graphics.

Right side is an R4400 Onyx (4x 200MHz) with 512mb of RAM, an 18GB main drive, 36GB XLV volume on board, RE2 Graphics (4x RM5), CD and DVD-RAM drive along with an external CD and LS-120 drive.

Immediately to the left of the Onyx is a 36GB XLV volume housed in a Vault L (8x 4GB drives).

225AFDF4-7EB3-48CD-B9B4-29605D784171.jpeg

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu