XFree86 on IRIX (outside of the Onyx4)

LarBob

Administrator
Feb 8, 2019
So, I got an Origin 200 recently. The GIGAchannel tower came with a GeForce 4 MX 440 in it. I thought this was strange, so I messaged the seller and ask what it was used for in there. Apparently, they had it working as a graphics head with XFree86. That made me curious, and onre and I have taken a look at the XFree86 4.x sources and found that none of the releases seem to have code for supporting PCI on IRIX or anything. Does anyone who was around back then remember anything about this? It'd be fascinating to get XFree86 working on IRIX again. Imagine using some Nvidia or ATi card as a second graphics head on an O2 or something!

Old post on comp.sys.sgi.hardware about this without much detail: https://comp.sys.sgi.hardware.narkive.com/3eg9to5C/origin200-pci-video-option#post11

Reactions: chulofiasco

nevyn

May 4, 2021
I know 6.5 supported PCI CADDuo cards in an XIO carrier in an o2000, but the graphics I had used an SI graphics board from an Octane. Never used it in my 0200 back in the day. I'd love to know more about how you get on with this project! :)

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
I don't understand how the CADDuo was supposed to work, I see it provides keyboard mouse and ethernet, but what about graphics for the other user? I assume they are working on the same desk, where would the second monitor plug in to? :)

rbz

Sep 18, 2020
I don't understand how the CADDuo was supposed to work, I see it provides keyboard mouse and ethernet, but what about graphics for the other user? I assume they are working on the same desk, where would the second monitor plug in to? :)
You add a second graphics board for the second head.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu