WTB: Old-style Granite keyboard and mouse [FOUND]

twylo

Apr 29, 2020
Poulsbo, WA
loomcom.com
I just got an Indigo2 for the first time in decades (I found it for a fantastic price, and I couldn't resist), but of course it did not come with a keyboard and mouse. For now I'm using an IBM Model M keyboard and a generic 3-button PS/2 mouse, but I would love to recreate the system that I had when I worked at SGI in 1996. We were using the old-style granite keyboards with the logo on the left-hand side back then.

If you have a granite keyboard and mouse you're willing to part with, please let me know. I'm located in Washington State in the US, and I'm willing to pay reasonable fair market value!

UPDATE: I've found the exact keyboard and mouse I was after, thanks all!

Last edited:

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
Yo, I'm also in WA! I'll eventually be doing Indigo2 PSU rebuilds in another year or so, I'm on Indy and Tezro PSUs right now. I don't use SGI peripherals with my SGIs (I have a few KB/MS sets for the collection that look good), I've been using ~2006 era PS/2 MS keyboard and Mouse sets (Microsoft CA9-00001) that work great with my SGIs! Black color looks good with lots of SGI models too. Most of the granites are yellowing and who needs the extra dust in them.

Go on eBay or wherever and buy NOS NIB Microsoft CA9-00001 sets and just go on living :)

If you REALLY want granite stuff I know a guy in Snohomish with this older SGI stuff for sale, but it's going to be a little yellow and need some elbow grease, but I can give you his info if you're still interested. Just PM me. Also I have some gently-used DELL 17" LCD monitors that are SOG compatible if you're in the market. I have an Old Granite CRT that you can have really cheap (yellowed plastic) if you want that too.

Be aware that some Granites cross family lines (some granite slabs are for Indigo2 and not indigo). So please know your SGI keyboard model numbers before you buy so you KNOW if you're looking at a PS/2-style or a Indigo-style Keyboard and mouse! Bigfoot series was available ACROSS Indigo & PS/2 lines...check model numbers on underside so you KNOW before buying and connecting.

PM Me if interested.

twylo

Apr 29, 2020
Poulsbo, WA
loomcom.com
Go on eBay or wherever and buy NOS NIB Microsoft CA9-00001 sets and just go on living :)
This is probably really good advice to be honest! I'm using an IBM Model M right now, which is one of my favorite keyboards so I guess I'm not in terrible shape. The only reason to really want the original SGI stuff is nostalgia, at least for me.

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
I totally get wanting the "right stuff". I guess I'll just say, pay up for a mint example, buy it, test it, put it away out of dust and sunlight. Use common PS/2 peripherals for your daily usage. I'm not tell you not to buy them, I'm advising not to buy them specifically to use and wear down, they don't age well.

Reactions: twylo

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu