What are some productive things you do with your SGI?

GameBreaker64

Jul 17, 2019
SGI workstations are a complete novelty now, right? Well, they don't have to be. What are some things you do with your SGI that you would consider productive?

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
Limited 3D Modeling.

Still pretty useful, although there are limits to how ambitious your scenes can be! (Especially when using Maya 6.5, with it's 2GB memory limit!)

Still good for the production of pretty complex assets to be placed in more complex scenes and rendered using the likes of Blender on more modern hardware. (I like Maya 6.5's User Interface, making it easier to use than Blender to perform certain tasks!)

Last edited:

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Anyone know if there is a program that can be used for PCB design on IRIX?

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I think there was a gEDA port at some point. You might also be able to get the SGUG-RSE people interested in KiCad (or try it yourself)

stormy

Jun 23, 2019
Thx @Irinikus

@Elf I did look into KiCad but they broke Irix support with a certain package, I think there was a github issue about it but their team basically said "nobody is gonna need this on irix anymore so we aren't too bothered"

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I'm sure they did, at face value, but there are often creative workarounds. I would not write it off completely :)

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu