Wanted: SGI O2 L shaped CPU board (model 034-1451-004 rev A)

SGIArtist

Nov 6, 2020
For a project I'm looking for a 034-1451-004 rev A CPU board. Doesn't have to have the CPU, as long as the board is in working condition.

600_o2_cpub.jpg

I'm located in the EU.

Last edited:

Tech&Music

Aug 30, 2020
The Netherlands
Interestingly, I've just gone down the rabbit hole of attempting this mod myself, or well, at least having the BGA part done by someone with more BGA soldering skills than me. I've pulled the trigger on just buying this card from eBay (note to mods, I have no affiliation with this seller beyond buying some of their wares at full price with my own money). I did also buy an extra drive sled and replacement CD bezel, but I ended up paying more for these parts than I did for my O2. Oh well, the things we do for our hobbies! He's still got one left, so it might be an option. It's certainly cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

Please do let me know if you know a place willing to do the soldering work, given I know you're in the Netherlands too, as I've seen the Marktplaats wanted ad you put up for this as well. Same for the Xilinx PROM, while I'm currently looking into the alternatives, if you can get your hands on either the blank ICs and a programmer, or pre-programmed ICs, I'd be interested in getting one too.

I haven't seen that model available for a while. You're more likely to find the 030-1493-001/003 and I think that also works with the upgrade you have in mind. All I'll say is if you're doing a 600Mhz mod I hope you have the PIC programmer and a load of Xylinx chips! :)
There's some info on potential replacements in the smouldering remains of Nekochan, specifically kubatyszko's post at the end of this thread:

It mentions there's a 20-pin Xilinx SOIC chip that's compatible with the 8-pin Xilinx SOIC used on the O2 cards, which in turn has a modern compatible replacement that's JTAG programmable and even re-programmable. If I can't find some of the 8-pin chips pre-programmed, I'll end up getting the bits necessary to get the modern 20-pin chip working. There's a cheap FPGA kit out there that has one of these chips on it, that with a cheap FPGA programmer (both available from Chinese sources) could be programmed with the necessary code for the O2 board. In turn, that 20-pin SOIC chip would be soldered to a 20-pin SOIC breakout board, with wires going from the appropriate pins from the 20-pin SOIC, to the solder pads for the 8-pin SOIC on the O2 board. Not particularly pretty, but that should work, though I still want to verify this.

Reactions: Elf and SGIArtist

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
I’m still up for doing mine as well, though the only CPU’s I can find are imports from China at around $90 each.

The Xylinx bit has always put me off as the programmer runs off a parallel port from Win2k, or something like that.

Reactions: SGIArtist

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
I bought my PIMM from that seller, the item in the photo was not what was sent so do make sure you get a photo of the actual item. Some PIMM modules don’t ship with cache so it’s important to verify what you will actually receive.

Other than that I found the seller approachable and he was happy to discuss things. This was a few years ago now though.

Reactions: SGIArtist

SGIArtist

Nov 6, 2020
Yeah, it's the 600Mhz upgrade project :) . Cool to see some other people are still pursuing it. I saw the seller on ebay, though with shipping it's not cheap, so I'm hoping someone locally has one.

I only have basic soldering skills so for the CPU soldering I'll probably try to find someone local that can do it for me. I'm also still looking into where to get the PROM part and what programmer can write to it.

I've found the code for the PROM from the below link:

3ddoc

Jan 17, 2020
Interestingly, I've just gone down the rabbit hole of attempting this mod myself, or well, at least having the BGA part done by someone with more BGA soldering skills than me. I've pulled the trigger on just buying this card from eBay (note to mods, I have no affiliation with this seller beyond buying some of their wares at full price with my own money). I did also buy an extra drive sled and replacement CD bezel, but I ended up paying more for these parts than I did for my O2. Oh well, the things we do for our hobbies! He's still got one left, so it might be an option. It's certainly cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

Please do let me know if you know a place willing to do the soldering work, given I know you're in the Netherlands too, as I've seen the Marktplaats wanted ad you put up for this as well. Same for the Xilinx PROM, while I'm currently looking into the alternatives, if you can get your hands on either the blank ICs and a programmer, or pre-programmed ICs, I'd be interested in getting one too.

There's some info on potential replacements in the smouldering remains of Nekochan, specifically kubatyszko's post at the end of this thread:

It mentions there's a 20-pin Xilinx SOIC chip that's compatible with the 8-pin Xilinx SOIC used on the O2 cards, which in turn has a modern compatible replacement that's JTAG programmable and even re-programmable. If I can't find some of the 8-pin chips pre-programmed, I'll end up getting the bits necessary to get the modern 20-pin chip working. There's a cheap FPGA kit out there that has one of these chips on it, that with a cheap FPGA programmer (both available from Chinese sources) could be programmed with the necessary code for the O2 board. In turn, that 20-pin SOIC chip would be soldered to a 20-pin SOIC breakout board, with wires going from the appropriate pins from the 20-pin SOIC, to the solder pads for the 8-pin SOIC on the O2 board. Not particularly pretty, but that should work, though I still want to verify this.
thanks for the plug on the hardware sales. If anyone wants to do more than 1 cpu mod, I have 6-10 more of the 300mhz cpu's

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu