VCFMW: The Return!

kaigan

Jul 1, 2019
Hey, everyone!

VCFMW 17 will be held at the Waterford Banquets in Elmhurst, IL on September 10-11, 2022. I will be exhibiting for my second year, with a good portion of my SGI gear. MIPS workstations from the Personal Iris to the Tezro will be on display, as will my Visual Workstation 320 and 550 (not 540!) My Octane will be set up with a CADduo for two-player Quake goodness on a V12 and a V8, I plan to show everyone's lovely faces off on an O2 cam outputting to a PVM, and other miscellaneous goodness, such as active setups of IRIX 3, 4, and 5, in addition to the usual 6.5 fare.

I know that several community members who frequent the SGUG Discord will be in attendance, and it would be great to have as large of a presence of SGI enthusiasts there as we can manage. It's a great time to represent the hobby, talk shop, possibly trade gear, and enjoy yourself in the presence of other like-minded crazy people.

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible there!

kaigan

Jul 1, 2019
It did! I'll get some pictures uploaded soon. There's video of the event in general from a few different sources. I didn't have any video interviews with anyone or anything like that, but me and my stuff are in a couple of these briefly. Here are few from the overall event to take a look at:

TrackZero -
(Me and my machines are in the video at ~18:33. I'm the big guy in the mask talking with the guy in red.)

Computer Hobbyists -
(This has a quick look at some of the machines in closer detail, including the triple-user Quake setup. The section is from ~6:10-6:40.)

Ron's Computer Videos -
(This has the machines in it as well at ~4:08. The monitors were shut off for the evening and I was away when this was taken, though.)

Ron's Computer Videos -
(I can be seen in this video at ~6:07 speaking with someone about the SGIs.)

Ben Heck -
(Many of the machines from the System Source Museum in Maryland can be seen here. I don't think me or my stuff appears here, except maybe very briefly in the background. Darn - I didn't make it into a Ben Heck video. :D)

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I really wish we had such events in South Africa, but the average South African is only interested in sporting the latest and greatest stuff to look good to their friends!

What a pity!!!

There's basically no retro computing interest over here!!! (Most people that I know think that I'm mad to be into this old stuff!!)

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu