• Wizard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Captain

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Skipper

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • IP30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bits (Software) / Pins (Hardware) / hinv (OS) / icons (Applications)

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
There have been some thoughts lately about adding another title for the forum and chat to recognize that have contributed a lot or are good sources of information for the community.

A variety of colorful suggestions have already been put forth and there is no clear consensus. Personally I just like the natural build up of a reputation without having to call it out, but, it appears I am in the minority, so we decided to open it up to a vote. :)

If you add a suggestion in the thread (a maximum of two per person) I will add it to the poll options. You can change your vote while the poll is open as new options are added, so don't be afraid to vote early.

When we decide on a title people will be able to nominate others to receive it.

massiverobot

irix detailer
Feb 8, 2019
Philly
twitter.com
After watching the video in General (discord) I'm ready to add:

• Softimager
  • Aliased
  • MayanTemple
  • Lightwaver
to the list

p.s. please vote for skipper above ^^^

fraserN64

Aug 20, 2019
sites.google.com
I'm not as creative with names, but I suggest there could be a couple of titles, that more closely match an individuals knowledge. Hardware, OS, Applications, Programming and some folks could actually have several/all.
Bits (Programming
Pins (Hardware)
hinv (OS)
icons (Applications)

Sorry Limit 2 :( Is strikethrough cheating? :unsure:

Elf

Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
I'm not as creative with names, but I suggest there could be a couple of titles, that more closely match an individuals knowledge. Hardware, OS, Applications, Programming and some folks could actually have several/all. [...]
Welcome! Since it is a bit of a different concept I just added them all under one voting option.

Elf

Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
So we received some further feedback from a respected member that aligned more with my own thoughts: that it would be nice to maintain a flat hierarchy and not spin out separate titles, more in the UNIX "User Group" tradition of the USENET / late 80s - 90s era. Also to minimize the differences between people with admin roles and regular users. After all, it is just a bunch of people who enjoy SGIs gathering together!

Let me know if there are any other thoughts, but if not we might just leave this aside?

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu