USB/DB9 to mini-DIN 8 Indigo2 serial console cable DIY

ankylo5aurus

Feb 6, 2022
It took me longer than it should have to figure out how to DIY a connection between a DB9 cable and an Indigo2's mini-DIN 8 serial port. So I'm writing up everything here and hopefully this is helpful to anyone who need to hack together a SGI serial console cable for temporary use.

Background: I didn't have a mini-DIN 8 cable, and I wanted to make use of a USB to DB9 adapter I already had. All of the necessary information is out there on the web, but I wasn't able to find a resource that explained like I'm five... specifically, which DB9 pins to connect to which mini-DIN 8 pins and which terminal communications settings to use. I ended up overthinking things while trying to piece together the various pinout diagrams I found. I messed around with the RTS/CTS and DSR/DTR/DCD pins and terminal settings before realizing that those aren't needed at all because there's no handshaking or flow control.

Parts I used:
  • USB to DB9 serial adapter (I have this one; I prefer a FTDI chipset since those seem to have better compatibility than the Prolific chipset)
  • DB9 breakout board (I have this one)
  • Three jumper wires

The pins that need to be connected are:
Code:
DB9            Mini-DIN 8
2 (RX)   <-->  3 (TX)
3 (TX)   <-->  5 (RX)
5 (GND)  <-->  4 (GND)
So essentially, regardless of what serial connector you're using, you only need to connect RX, TX, and ground.

Terminal software settings:
  • Baud rate: 9600
  • Bits: 8
  • Parity: N
  • Stop bits: 1
  • Software flow control (aka XON/XOFF): off
  • Hardware flow control (aka RTS/CTS or DSR/DTR/DCD): off

The attached DB9 diagram is from the perspective of a male DB9 connector, and the mini-DIN 8 diagram is from the perspective of a female connector (i.e., what is on the SGI).

Attachments

Reactions: Elf

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Thanks for the writeup! :)

In the past I have also used RJ-45 to DE-9 shells or DEC/Cisco style console cables, and then used similar RJ-45 to terminal block and mini-DIN 8 to terminal block breakouts to create an appropriately wired RJ-45 DEC serial to Indigo 2 mini-DIN adapter. The DEC/Cisco style serial on RJ-45 ends up being a fairly universal type of serial connection that you can adapt to various different things or extend as needed with Ethernet patch cables.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu