Upgrade to 6.5.30?

Dacobi

Oct 13, 2021
Denmark
openme.gl
Hi

I finally got my first SGI machine, an O2 with R10000 195MHz
The machine is installed with IRIX 6.5.11

I've downloaded the 6.5.30 images from archive.org but I haven't used IRIX since university 20 years ago and I've never installed it.

Can I use Software Manager to upgrade the install?

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Personally, I'd run a clean install as long as there is nothing on the system you need. My machine I believe is still on 6.5.26.

You could either setup an install server (raspi or similar), run booterizer or burn some CDs and install from there.

Oh, and try and ensure you have at least 128mb+ ram for 6.5,anything less is going to be painful when you start doing things on it. I always recommend 256mb for 6.5.22 and above. 128mb seems fine for 6.3.

jenna64bit

Administrator
Apr 18, 2020
I think you can upgrade with only the overlays and no foundation discs. There are a couple ways to do it. Without a CD drive you can spill out the disc contents to a NFS server for one. Otherwise, yeah with the O2 you probably do have an optical drive and can burn the images to CD-Rs for it. That process is a bit finicky as they're EFS format discs, not ISO9660.

If you're not going to use pre-loaded software, Booterizer on a Raspberry Pi is a great approach. It manages a network / tftp boot for you.

I'm fairly sure the O2 demos are on their own disc, so a fresh install would remove them at first.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu