Turning Windows 3.11 (DosBox) into a really cool retro setup

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I'm trying to get Windows 3.11 up to a standard where it was, when I experienced it in the early 90's!

So far, I've got the sound up and running:

I've installed MicroSoft Office:

And Microsoft Encarta's next: (It's going to take forever to unzip using WinZip in Windows 3.11)

Encarta was the rage in the days before the internet!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
After having to reinstall a few times, I've finally managed to install an S3 SVGA driver.

So now it has both a sound and video driver, so gaming in windows is now possible!!!! (And it's running @ 1280x1024!!!)

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
The combination of IRIX and Win 3.11 is great!
Windows 3.1 (3.11 included) was probably my favorite version of Windows. Peak, as far as I am concerned :)

It might be nostalgia because it was the first Windows OS that I used, but, I still think the UI holds up today (much like 4Dwm).

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I've now also managed to mount the Tezro's CD-ROM in DosBox, allowing windows 3.11 to have access to CD's!!!

This was achieved by adding the following line to DosBox's autoexec.bat:

"mount d ~/CDROM -t cdrom -ioctl"

This has allowed me to install Microsoft Encarta 1994: (And run it properly off the CD, just like in the old days!!!)

It's amazing to see how limited things were at that time! (I remember looking at Encarta in complete wonder in the early 90's)

Last edited:
Reactions: Elf

Irinikus

Dec 16, 2019
South Africa
www.youtube.com
I've now managed to install a newer version of Microsoft Office!

I initially had problems, as it wouldn't run and kept on asking me to exit windows and run "share.exe".

"share.exe" is incompatible with DosBox, but I did manage to find an alternative which works here: (The download link is in the video description!)

Here are some images of Microsoft Office running:

Last edited:

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
have you tried using a RS232 com port in DOSBox yet? I couldn't get it to recognize the device mapping in /dev/tty* properly

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu