Tell me about your favourite demos/software!

vvuk

Administrator
Aug 25, 2021
I'd like to collect a wiki page somewhere that's basically "fun stuff to do/try with your SGI system". Tell me about your favourite demos (even obvious ones) or pieces of software -- ideally include where to install it (e.g. what IRIX version, CD set, inst package), how to run it, and if needed what systems it runs on (e.g. is there a minspec).

I'll collect things in a page after there's enough info!

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Of the various demos I would say my favorites are Smoke & Mirrors, and the various game-type ones: Mekton, flight simulator, A10, and DI Guy.

Some of these can be viewed on YouTube:

Unfortunately I can't list what CD / package they come in at the moment, but hopefully when the weather gets worse I can help with that in some way ;)

flexion

Sep 23, 2020
Switzerland
For the Indy (R5.3) with IndyCam I can recommend Lumbus and Hoops. Both games can be controlled using the IndyCam. Pretty fascinating stuff for 1995. They are on the IndyZone 3 CD. The ISO disc is also available as tar download from jrra.zone, so you don't have to loopback mount and extract.

For 6.5.x Celestia (nekoware) is also worth mentioning
preview by irinikus:

I have a handful of cool "demoscene" demos (OpenGL but compiled on IRIX) however can't remember where they came from.. probably from nekochan via archiveorg.

Last edited:
Reactions: ysbrand1981 and Elf

indigofan

Jun 8, 2020
Of the various demos I would say my favorites are Smoke & Mirrors, and the various game-type ones: Mekton, flight simulator, A10, and DI Guy.

Some of these can be viewed on YouTube:

Unfortunately I can't list what CD / package they come in at the moment, but hopefully when the weather gets worse I can help with that in some way ;)
Just loaded them yesterday, you can get them here:

Silicon Graphics General and Platform Demos 6.5.12 (1 of 2)

Silicon Graphics General and Platform Demos 6.5.12 (2 of 2) <- Octane specific demos

Reactions: vvuk and Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu