System Manager and Software Manager no longer working?

Dacobi

Oct 13, 2021
Denmark
openme.gl
Hi

My system (O2, IRIX 6.5.30) no longer starts System Manager.
When I try to start it from the menu it loads for a while and then nothing happens.

Also Software Manager started to segfault when I load a dist.
PANIC pt_bootstrap() Couldn't INIT_THREADS - {0x0, 0x0}

This happens when I click open and select a dist, both from CDROM and via tftp.

It worked just a few days ago so don't know what has happened?

Is there something I can do besides reinstalling the system?
Has my hard drive been corrupted?

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Is other software on the system generally reliable? Did you install, uninstall, reconfigure, change anything between when it was working and not?

Dacobi

Oct 13, 2021
Denmark
openme.gl
Is other software on the system generally reliable? Did you install, uninstall, reconfigure, change anything between when it was working and not?
I installed the OOBE disk for O2 and enabled sgi_apache but thats all.
I can start shells, Mozilla etc fine.
Only thing that seems to be affected is System Manager and Software Manager

Elf

Storybook / Retired, ex-staff
Feb 4, 2019
Mountain West (US)
Very strange, I would assume at least Mozilla is threaded too? Not sure then :(

A reinstall and repeat of all of that would certainly help clear up whether something that was installed later caused issues with inst.

gijoe77

Feb 18, 2019
did you change or add path's to your root account? Do you use root exclusively or did you try to run swmgr from a non-root account with default env?

I've run into problems running swmgr/system manager in the past when I had my PATH and LIB PATH's in a some strange order

Dacobi

Oct 13, 2021
Denmark
openme.gl
did you change or add path's to your root account? Do you use root exclusively or did you try to run swmgr from a non-root account with default env?

I've run into problems running swmgr/system manager in the past when I had my PATH and LIB PATH's in a some strange order
I did in fact change root's shell to /opt/local/bin/bash with a bash_profile that sets some LD_PRELOAD and changes some PATHs

How can I set this back when I can't open System Manager?

TruHobbyist

Jul 27, 2019
I did in fact change root's shell to /opt/local/bin/bash with a bash_profile that sets some LD_PRELOAD and changes some PATHs

How can I set this back when I can't open System Manager?
Which is why it's always recommended to not touch the system defaults. Some engineers conceived it as a whole. Touching one end, might break another one. Instead, build upon it (extend, not substitute): You can, for example, create a short alias so that a simple 'b' typed in your csh/tcsh, ksh, sh once logged in, runs bash and sets whatever environment you need. It's just two keys: b and Enter (or Return)!

Reactions: Elf

gijoe77

Feb 18, 2019
you for sure can use bash as your root shell! Just edit your /etc/passwd file as the most simple way. The bash_profile thing that makes a lot of LD and path changes is cool but it will break IRIX sysadmin stuff as you see. You can easily still make those changes (I have) but you have to perhaps append the stuff you want to come later in the PATH's, depending on what your looking to do - trial and error or what Tru said works too.

I personally have come to love using separate accounts for stuff I want to do - it keep your root dir from becoming too cluttered with a million files, and you can just su to an account for experimenting (and not break root in the process). Plus the login screen looks much cooler with customized accounts for customized tools/tasks IMHO

Reactions: TruHobbyist and Elf

Dacobi

Oct 13, 2021
Denmark
openme.gl
The package I found with bash has a lot of other ported tools which needs the LD stuff.
I think it also included a port of sudo so I will look in to that.
Otherwise I've made a normal user account for daily use. And for root just an alias for starting bash.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu