[ssh] "prng is not seeded" error

rrapljen

Sep 21, 2020
Eichstätt
Hi! :)

I tried to start ssh on my irix 6.5 and get the error: "prng is not seeded"

Are I am right that google&co do not know anything about this error under Irix? It seems it is connected to the /dev/random or /dev/urandom file - these are of cause not present on my machine.

Does anyone knows something about that?

Thx!

RR

mgtremaine

May 3, 2020
San Diego, Ca
www.stellarcore.net
Sounds like older ssh and openssl install. It's either not fully installed or missing config step. I don't remember where the entropy file is but I remember there being a prngd daemon to generate randomness in ancient times. Honestly I would step up to Neko openssl or even better SGUG 0.6 release the modern openssh will serve you better.

-Mike

Reactions: Elf and rrapljen

rrapljen

Sep 21, 2020
Eichstätt
Sounds like older ssh and openssl install. It's either not fully installed or missing config step. I don't remember where the entropy file is but I remember there being a prngd daemon to generate randomness in ancient times. Honestly I would step up to Neko openssl or even better SGUG 0.6 release the modern openssh will serve you better.

-Mike
Thank you! I will step up!

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu