[SOLD] Sun SparcStation IPX, 64MB RAM, 1GB Disk, great shape!

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
For sale is a sun SparcStation IPX, aka 4/50. Bare machine only, no peripherals or accessories included. I keep getting more machines in my collection and so I've made the hard decision that this one has got to go!

I picked this up locally and the condition is fantastic. It used to be used by a Geotechnical firm in dowtown Calgary, that still exists. Other than a tiny chip on the front right corner (see pics), the case is excellent. No fading or extreme yellowing at all. I have fully tested pretty much every subsystem and it all works, from the built-in CG6 graphics, to the network card, the serial ports, the keyboard/mouse port and so on.

I have since upgraded the hard disk to a Seagate 1GB from the original 512, and increased the RAM from 32MB to 64MB (max possible unless you get an add-on SBUS card). I have also fixed the NVRAM/TOD clock chip so that you can use a CR2032 battery. Even better, I have been able to reprogram the original MAC address and serial number that this machine originally shipped with, into the NVRAM chip. I have replaced the original ball bearing fan with a newer Panaflow that exceeds the factory rated one. None of the power supply's caps were bulging when I opened it to change the fan.

A fresh install of SunOS 4.1.4 is installed and the root and user passwords will be provided to the buyer. This is a turn-key system, and I hope you can enjoy it like I did!

Shipping is extra, and really depends on how fast you want it and where you live. Please let me know by PM what your address is if you want a shipping quote. The IPX is durable and small-ish, like a cube, so it should not be much money to ship it.

Asking $150 USD.

IMG_6822.JPGIMG_6823.JPG

Reactions: Elf

ghost180sx

Dec 13, 2019
The Great White North
Thanks gentlemen for the compliments. I hope you can use your new IPX for something more than just a backup - but also I hope it lasts as a reliable machine for another 30 years :)

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu