Should I use MAME for SGI JUST to make Animations?

AlephDialloStuff

Oct 1, 2021
I've recently seen the PDI logo from 1998 and learned that it was made on Silcon Graphics computers. I wanted to make something like that without Blender.
So I decided, "I should get SGI!" and learned that MAME was for me.
But here are my questions :
What software do I need besides PowerAnimator and Wavefront?
How the crap do I get it to work in MAME? Seems cool, and I found July 1998 isos on Archive.ORG, but I'm STILL confused.
Waiting for a response! :)

fraserN64

Aug 20, 2019
sites.google.com
Currently MAME's support for SGI's is limited and performs very poorly about 40-50% of a low end SGI workstation (R4K Indy) on a new high end PC.
Most applications work at least a little. Between sluggish performance and the occasional crashes I wouldn't expect to actually get any "work" done in this environment.
It's fun to play so for more information and to experiment check out this page https://sites.google.com/site/consoleprotocols/home/sgi/sgi-emulation

Reactions: Elf

Mario9501

May 17, 2021
Honestly your probably better off buying the hardware and going on from there. As the emulation is sadly not where it could be and it is daunting at first but if you can find a good deal on a decent machine. O2 or Indigo2 with a decent processor and good GFX option. as it would be a way better experience than emulation.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu