SGI Tezro - won't respond to power button?

doc

Jun 23, 2022
Hey,

I have a Tezro that worked fine when I last used it. After a few years now, I experienced the following (one issue solved, one not):

1) L1 display was lit, but completely empty. I received advice to keep the machine plugged into mains for a while. I kept it powered for days, but nothing changed. Then when I tried a couple weeks later, just to confirm it's dead, it showed "001c01 L1 running", and the spinner icon is moving as expected.
So that's solved I hope.

2) But today I wanted to power it on. I pressed the power button but - absolutely nothing happens.
One reason could be that the power button may be broken. It was always kind-of suspicious (it seemed a bit pressed in, and didn't have the distinct "click" effect like the reset or nmi buttons).
But I don't know how to confirm if that button is the issue or not. I tried pressing it from different sides and with different levels of pressure - it didn't help.

On the right side of the machine, where the CPU module is, I see two orange LEDs lit up. I don't know if this is normal or an error condition.

Any advice? Thanks!

doc

Jun 23, 2022
I got an idea to try powering on via console, since L1 was reported running.
But console wasn't responding.

I unplugged from power and plugged back in, and both the console and power button worked!

Reactions: Elf

doc

Jun 23, 2022
Well, must be something with L1. It stopped working while the machine was running and serial was connected.
I tried resetting or shutting off the machine. The buttons did not react.
Then I removed power. After plugging the power back in, L1 display lit up but remained empty and I can't access or power on the machine again (so, same problem as (1) above).

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu