SGI Origin 350 L2 Failure

kamkamkam

Feb 19, 2021
Hello, world. First time poster; long time SGI user but without the greatest understanding of the nitty gritty tech parts.

Walked into the lab this morning to hear a ticking sound, which is never good. The L2 on the Origin 350 was making the sound. The power button was no longer lit, and every time it ticked, the display panel would briefly light up, with no text. L1 is running just fine. The cable on the back that connects the L1 and L2 is flashing an orange light every time the L2 ticks/display blinks. Obviously something's failed, but I have no idea what. Power supply? Is it constantly trying to reboot itself? There was no evidence of any sort of power outage or surge on any of the other machines nearby.

Any help y'all can give would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching all afternoon and have mostly come up empty, although I have found the user guides for both the 350 server and the L1/L2.

weblacky

Jan 13, 2020
Seattle, WA
The L2 unit takes in 48V DC from either an AC adapter or the main power supply unit in a cluster rack.

Can you provide more info? Are you saying JUST the L2 and it's LCD console are rebooting or are the machine it's connected to our also in trouble? Your description isn't really clear enough on what the symptoms are to help you.

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu