SGI o2 PANICs at boot time with analog A/V board installed

MisterArgent

Aug 28, 2019
So, I dropped more money on a actual Analog A/V option. Only thing is, when I connect it to my o2 the machine instantly PANICs at power on/video init with no serial output. Values remain constant in spite of reboots, connector cleanings, dustings, and the like. I've spent more on these damned modules than I have the computer itself at this point. Anyone have some resources or pointers for troubleshooting?

The board's a Rev. F. Reverting to my two Rev. D audio boards causes the machine (R10k) to boot just fine. Is this some weird compatibility thing? Also, could I move the three video-specific chips over to one of my two known good audio only boards to "promote" it? They both use the same exact base PCB and components aside from the three.

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Does it KP while loading IRIX or during PROM startup? Can you run IDE diagnostics?

This sounds very strange, it throwing a KP.

Can you also try a 'resetenv', or can't you get to that stage?

kubatyszko

Jan 29, 2020
O2's are known to panic when you have keyboard/mouse hooked up and your console setting in prom is set to "d" (serial), or vice versa.
Any chance you had that changed ?
You probably want to "printenv" your prom, save the results and "resetenv" to test if any prom settings might impact the boot process.

MisterArgent

Aug 28, 2019
I've narrowed things down to what seems to be a motherboard fault; I've been meaning to source a replacement but haven't gotten around to really putting the effort in. If anyone's got a spare, hit me up.

Jacques

Dec 21, 2019
Somerset, United Kingdom
Ah, O2 system boards. I've got a 003 and 004 board, the 003 board won't accept an HP PS/2 mouse and will only run with a MS Intellimouse with a PS/2 adapter. The 004 board is a weird one. It runs fine with both kinds of mice, but when I plug in a 1600SW display the MS Intellimouse stutters and jerks, swith to VGA out and it's fine. This board will also only work on standard 3 button mouse clicks, it won't accept the scroll wheel on the HP, but it does on the MS Intellimouse.

And to top it all off, the network speed obtained from both boards is different, the 003 is about 1meg/s faster than the 004 via NFS transfers.

Strange, but true! :)

Reactions: Elf

About us

• Silicon Graphics User Group (SGUG) is a community for users, developers, and admirers of Silicon Graphics (SGI) products. We aim to be a friendly hobbyist community for discussing all aspects of SGIs, including use, software development, the IRIX Operating System, and troubleshooting, as well as facilitating hardware exchange.

User Menu